strathspey Archive: Apple butter

Apple butter

Message 13436 · Freeman/Pavey · 14 Oct 1998 18:49:18 · Top

Richard L. Walker wrote:

> I always find it easiest to say phrases with the music.
> If "apple butter apple butter apple butter apple butter" fits the
> music, it is a reel.
> If "jiggity jiggity jiggity jiggity" fits the music, it is a jig.
> The entire process takes less than five or six seconds.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I've found (after dancing for over
two years) that the timing on my pas de bas is not correct. So, a
couple of weeks ago I started saying "jiggity jig" while pas de
basqueing to jigs, and "one, two three and" to reels. It has improved
my pas de basque immensely (I think). However, the one two three count
for reels didn't work as well as the jiggity jig for jigs. So,..... I
am looking forward to "apple buttering" through the evening on Thursday!

A spin off of this practice has been a greater awareness of: a) the
difference between reels and jigs and b) the beats within the bars for
jig and real time.

Cole Pavey
Maberly, Ontario, Canada
--
http://www.peterboro.net/~tay/
Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario

Apple butter

Message 13445 · D. Shaw · 15 Oct 1998 00:57:27 · Top

The last time "apple butter apple butter" and "jiggity jiggity" came up on
the list, several people posted alternate phrases for reels, jigs, and
other tempos.

I recommend Stasa Morgan-Appel's post, archive number 7687 (Mon, 12 May
97), which gives the phrase for 15/8 time. I also suggest that any piece of
puirt a beal would work for its tempo, and it might be a good way to learn it.

Cheers,
Deborah
shawd@mindspring.com

Apple butter

Message 13451 · BioniCelt · 15 Oct 1998 07:09:51 · Top

If you get tired of apple butter, a great director I sang with years ago had
us sing mashed potatoes as a warm-up exercise. [Try to keep from giggling
after about four bars of that.] If you can sing it, you can dance it, but
what is the significance of all the connections to food in feeling the count
of music?

>> I always find it easiest to say phrases with the music.
>> If "apple butter apple butter apple butter apple butter" fits the
>> music, it is a reel.
>> If "jiggity jiggity jiggity jiggity" fits the music, it is a jig.
>> The entire process takes less than five or six seconds.
>
>Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I've found (after dancing for over
>two years) that the timing on my pas de bas is not correct. So, a
>couple of weeks ago I started saying "jiggity jig" while pas de
>basqueing to jigs, and "one, two three and" to reels. It has improved
>my pas de basque immensely (I think). However, the one two three count
>for reels didn't work as well as the jiggity jig for jigs. So,..... I
>am looking forward to "apple buttering" through the evening on Thursday!
>
>A spin off of this practice has been a greater awareness of: a) the
>difference between reels and jigs and b) the beats within the bars for
>jig and real time.
>
>Cole Pavey
>Maberly, Ontario, Canada
>--
>http://www.peterboro.net/~tay/
>Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario
>
>--
>Freeman & Pavey <tay@rideau.net>

Apple butter

Message 13452 · Richard L. Walker · 15 Oct 1998 07:34:49 · Top

Warm-up exercise for the afters party.

but what is the significance of all the connections to food in
feeling the count of music?
(snip)