strathspey Archive: Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Message 12120 · Freeman/Pavey · 27 May 1998 17:18:43 · Top

We (my wife Susan and I) are tentatively thinking of running a dance
this fall entitled:

"Cosh! It's going to be a Drewry dance."

composed entirely of Cosh and Drewry dances. (Recorded music.)

I welcome suggestions for dances to include in the program because,
while we really like the Cosh and Drewry dances that we know, we don't
know a lot of them.

I recognize that this is perhaps an unworkable gimmick which will:
a) exclude less experienced dancers
b) require too much preparation for even experinced dancers
but I also think it might be a lot of fun because the Cosh/Drewry dances
we know flow very well and are among our favourites. Besides, I really
like the title!

Cole Pavey
Maberly, Ontario, Canada
-
http://www.peterboro.net/~tay/
Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario

Bob Blackie

Message 12122 · Etienne Ozorak · 27 May 1998 18:46:51 · Top

Hello,

I was informed by John Middleton this morning that Bob Blackie passed
away this morning. He will be missed.

Etienne

Bob Blackie

Message 12124 · Benjamin Stein · 27 May 1998 22:43:57 · Top

Thanks to Norah, Etienne and Martin. What a lovely man Bob Blackie was. I
can not write any more!

Ben

Bob Blackie

Message 12128 · Pat Kent · 28 May 1998 03:43:52 · Top

Dear Bob Blackie. What a delightful man he was. So gentlemanly, full of
life, always, always had a smile and a good word of encouragement. A
very good ambassador for dancing. A terrific teacher and agreat story
teller. I can remember when I was the only teacher in these parts
teaching and travelling many hundreds of miles per week, when I got down
I,d write to Bob and in the return mail there was the most encouraging
letter, a real bumper upper. Although I live many miles from him and
never saw him very much I valued his freindship and support. I will miss
him As will all his friends.
God Bless you Bob..
Sincerely
Pat Kent.

Bob Blackie

Message 12129 · Simon Scott · 28 May 1998 05:03:57 · Top

I heard by phone, the news about Bob, and from Vancouver I join the rest of
you on this continent and abroard in paying tribute to him. I last saw him
at TAC in LA where, dispite his health difficulties by then, he was the ever
bright, cheery, positive Bob.

He was a beacon of enthusiasm for the joy of dance and was such a fine
example to so many of us. Though we will no longer experience that
directly from him, we are lucky that we may continue to share the joy he
left, through the memory which will remain.

Thank you Bob, for your friendship your guidence and your inspiration.

Bob Blackie

Message 12132 · REBECCA SAGER · 28 May 1998 06:43:40 · Top

Just a few more words of appreciation of Bob from the Southeast. I
carried a copy of the obituary which Martin Mulligan contributed to the
Atlanta Branch A.G.M. this evening. We were all shocked, though we had
heard he was very ill. Many of us had happy memories to share of Bob as a
teacher, at workshops here and in Florida, and as a warm, funny and
friendly man. I particularly remember a Jacksonville weekend not too long
ago where Bob followed the young Highland dancers at the ceilidh with his
very spirited rendition of the Fling. It's hard to believe he has left
us.

Becky
--
Becky Sager,
Marietta GA USA

Bob Blackie

Message 12140 · Benjamin Stein · 28 May 1998 21:24:30 · Top

Now that I have pulled myself together after the shock of yesterday I do
have two questions that can help us all.

1. To whom and at what address can we send our condolences? (I know
that Bobbie's mother lives in Peebles, Scotland but that is probably not
enough of an address.)

2. What is the address of the local branch of the Canadian Cancer
Society to which we could make donations in Bobbie's memory?

Thanks to Pat and Simon. I am sure that all of us who new him have similar
memories. I can see him now dancing, teaching and in numerous Ceilidh
acts-particularly his great Momma Stour (the so-called Feminist version of
Papa Stour)-complete with dresses, padding to appear in late stages of
pregnancy, rolling pins (in place of swords) and "Newfie dancing shoes"
(Wellies). As I remember this was at my first weekend, back in the early
seventies. I wondered if he would ever forgive him for bawling him out when
he and the other two Bobs sat on the floor in front of my door, drinking
and singing at the top of their lungs, at 3:00AM in Kitchener-but he
graciously forgave me the next day (but then he may not have even rmembered
it!). He will be missed-dreadfully!

Ben Stein
Dancers@Compuserve.Com

Bob Blackie

Message 12169 · Deirdre MacCuish Bark · 31 May 1998 02:30:15 · Top

The address of the cancer society, as on the cards from the funeral home,
is:
Canadian Cancer Society
Mississauga Unit
1140 Burnhamthorpe Road West
Suite 106
Mississauga, Ontario
L5C 4E9

Cheques, donations, should be payable to - Canadian Cancer Society

Deirdre MacCuish Bark
Mississauga, Ontario
barkd@home.com

On May 28, 1998 1:23 PM, Benjamin Stein [SMTP:dancers@compuserve.com] wrote:
> Now that I have pulled myself together after the shock of yesterday I do
> have two questions that can help us all.
>
> 1. To whom and at what address can we send our condolences? (I know
> that Bobbie's mother lives in Peebles, Scotland but that is probably not
> enough of an address.)
>
> 2. What is the address of the local branch of the Canadian Cancer
> Society to which we could make donations in Bobbie's memory?
>
> Thanks to Pat and Simon. I am sure that all of us who new him have similar
> memories. I can see him now dancing, teaching and in numerous Ceilidh
> acts-particularly his great Momma Stour (the so-called Feminist version of
> Papa Stour)-complete with dresses, padding to appear in late stages of
> pregnancy, rolling pins (in place of swords) and "Newfie dancing shoes"
> (Wellies). As I remember this was at my first weekend, back in the early
> seventies. I wondered if he would ever forgive him for bawling him out
when
> he and the other two Bobs sat on the floor in front of my door, drinking
> and singing at the top of their lungs, at 3:00AM in Kitchener-but he
> graciously forgave me the next day (but then he may not have even
rmembered
> it!). He will be missed-dreadfully!
>
> Ben Stein
> Dancers@Compuserve.Com

Bob Blackie

Message 12171 · The Keans · 31 May 1998 09:51:48 · Top

for address OF FAMILY go toTHE SCOTSMAN check <F> family notices
>The address of the cancer society, as on the cards from the funeral home,
>is:
>Canadian Cancer Society
>Mississauga Unit
>1140 Burnhamthorpe Road West
>Suite 106
>Mississauga, Ontario
>L5C 4E9
>
>Cheques, donations, should be payable to - Canadian Cancer Society
>
>Deirdre MacCuish Bark
>Mississauga, Ontario
>barkd@home.com
>
>On May 28, 1998 1:23 PM, Benjamin Stein [SMTP:dancers@compuserve.com]
wrote:
>> Now that I have pulled myself together after the shock of yesterday I do
>> have two questions that can help us all.
>>
>> 1. To whom and at what address can we send our condolences? (I know
>> that Bobbie's mother lives in Peebles, Scotland but that is probably not
>> enough of an address.)
>>
>> 2. What is the address of the local branch of the Canadian Cancer
>> Society to which we could make donations in Bobbie's memory?
>>
>> Thanks to Pat and Simon. I am sure that all of us who new him have
similar
>> memories. I can see him now dancing, teaching and in numerous Ceilidh
>> acts-particularly his great Momma Stour (the so-called Feminist version
of
>> Papa Stour)-complete with dresses, padding to appear in late stages of
>> pregnancy, rolling pins (in place of swords) and "Newfie dancing shoes"
>> (Wellies). As I remember this was at my first weekend, back in the early
>> seventies. I wondered if he would ever forgive him for bawling him out
>when
>> he and the other two Bobs sat on the floor in front of my door, drinking
>> and singing at the top of their lungs, at 3:00AM in Kitchener-but he
>> graciously forgave me the next day (but then he may not have even
>rmembered
>> it!). He will be missed-dreadfully!
>>
>> Ben Stein
>> Dancers@Compuserve.Com

Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Message 12125 · Miriam L. Mueller · 28 May 1998 01:53:36 · Top

Some years ago (9?!?) the New York City area branch had a whole evening
dance of Drewery dances - I didn't go but remembered hearing about it.
If they don't answer your query, you might ask them directly to connect
you with someone who was involved.

The idea sounds like fun.

When we've had new-dance evenings or English-Scottish programs, we
combined them with an afternoon workshop to teach what people know.
It changes the flavor of the event and the time commitment, but those who
came to the workshops seemed to have more fun in the evening.

mimi mueller

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Message 12126 · Blaine L. Peet · 28 May 1998 02:14:51 · Top

Our class gave a 'thumbs up' to Drewry's Prince Rupert's Fancy, a 32 bar
Strathspey for a 3 couple set. It's one of the dances included in
Dancing Forth, a CD with music and instructions for 15 John Drewry
dances, published by the Edinburgh Branch. It flows nicely (of course)
yet is very straight forward, and works for less experienced dancers.

Blaine Peet (yet another engineer)
Washington, DC Branch

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Message 12130 · Freeman/Pavey · 28 May 1998 06:28:00 · Top

Blaine Peet (yet another engineer) wrote:

> Our class gave a 'thumbs up' to Drewry's Prince Rupert's Fancy, a 32 bar
> Strathspey for a 3 couple set.

I've really come to like three couple set strathspeys because you
usually get to do as much or more dancing as in the longer 8 x 32 ones
without so much standing around. I'll put it on the list of dances to
take a close look at.

Thanks, Cole
-
http://www.peterboro.net/~tay/
Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario

Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Message 12131 · Freeman/Pavey · 28 May 1998 06:31:58 · Top

Miriam L. Mueller wrote:

> When we've had new-dance evenings or English-Scottish programs, we
> combined them with an afternoon workshop to teach what people know.
> It changes the flavor of the event and the time commitment, but those who
> came to the workshops seemed to have more fun in the evening.

I think this is a good idea and would work very well for us. It gives
people an extra motivation for travelling so far to get to us. (usually
1 to 1 1/2 hours)

Thanks, Cole.
--
http://www.peterboro.net/~tay/
Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario

Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Message 12133 · Kate Gentles · 28 May 1998 12:18:02 · Top

We had a Drewry Dance in Cambridge a couple of weeks ago. Enormous fun, but
taxing on the brain as well as the feet - I would say that it does require a
bit of preparation for all dancers, but the effort is well worth it. I
won't try to recommend particular dances, otherwise I'll never get any work
done today ...

Kate
Cambridge, UK

At 09:19 27/05/98 -0400, you wrote:
>We (my wife Susan and I) are tentatively thinking of running a dance
>this fall entitled:
>
> "Cosh! It's going to be a Drewry dance."
>
>composed entirely of Cosh and Drewry dances. (Recorded music.)
>
>I welcome suggestions for dances to include in the program because,
>while we really like the Cosh and Drewry dances that we know, we don't
>know a lot of them.
>
>I recognize that this is perhaps an unworkable gimmick which will:
> a) exclude less experienced dancers
> b) require too much preparation for even experinced dancers
>but I also think it might be a lot of fun because the Cosh/Drewry dances
>we know flow very well and are among our favourites. Besides, I really
>like the title!
>
>Cole Pavey
>Maberly, Ontario, Canada
>-
>http://www.peterboro.net/~tay/
>Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario
>
>--
>Freeman & Pavey <tay@rideau.net>

Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Message 12134 · Tom Chisholm · 28 May 1998 16:21:35 · Top

Futher to Kate's message, I think that one of the major factors in the
success of the evening was the magnificent music provided by George
Macclellan and Keith Smith. If you do have such an evening, make sure you
have the best live musicians you can get.

Good luck

Tom
--
Tom Chisholm
Leica Microsystems Lithography Ltd, Cambridge, +44-1223-411123

Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Message 12138 · Freeman/Pavey · 28 May 1998 18:16:11 · Top

Kate Gentles wrote:

> We had a Drewry Dance in Cambridge a couple of weeks ago. Enormous fun, but
> taxing on the brain as well as the feet - I would say that it does require a
> bit of preparation for all dancers, but the effort is well worth it.

That's encouraging. Hopefully we can get enough dancers who are willing
to make the effort.

Cole
--
http://www.peterboro.net/~tay/
Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario

Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Message 12139 · Loren Wright · 28 May 1998 19:33:16 · Top

Some of my favorites are ones that don't often make it onto party
programs:
-two-couple strathspeys, such as Anna Holden's Strathspey
-and five-couple dances, such as Midnight Oil

The recent Bankhead series of books is loaded with both 5-couple dances
and 2-couple strathspeys!

Loren Wright <lorenw@rwp.mv.com>
Roger Wagner Publishing
Nashua, NH, USA

Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Message 12143 · Malcolm and Helen Brown · 28 May 1998 23:12:01 · Top

Last year, the Northallerton Group (north of York) ran a Drewry workshop
and dance; the workshop was taught by Helen Russell from Hull and she
did an excellent job of making new and complex dances understandable.
The pianist was Pat Clark, who had to make a hurried transfer from
electric piano to suspect accoustic piano at the start of the course
when the fuse blew! The evening dance music was provided by David
Oswald and his band - an excellent young band from Scotland. All in
all a wonderful day.

This Saturday, they are repeating the formula with a workshop and
dance with Roy Goldring's dances. Roy will be providing the
instruction for the afternoon and we have been promised a couple of
new dances.

Helen

--
_ _
|_|_ |_| Malcolm & Helen Brown (York UK) - m.brown@netcomuk.co.uk (Tir-Nan-Og)

Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Message 12144 · Freeman/Pavey · 28 May 1998 23:52:07 · Top

Malcolm & Helen Brown (York UK) wrote:

> This Saturday, they are repeating the formula with a workshop and
> dance with Roy Goldring's dances.

Ellie Briscoe mentioned Goldring as a good base for a specialy dance, as
well. Will have to look into his stuff more closely.

Cole
--
http://www.peterboro.net/~tay/
Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario

Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Message 12145 · Priscilla M. Burrage · 29 May 1998 03:09:50 · Top

On Thu, 28 May 1998, Freeman & Pavey wrote:

> Malcolm & Helen Brown (York UK) wrote:
>
> > This Saturday, they are repeating the formula with a workshop and
> > dance with Roy Goldring's dances.
>
> Ellie Briscoe mentioned Goldring as a good base for a specialy dance, as
> well. Will have to look into his stuff more closely.

I always try to include an Attwood, a Goldring, and a Campbell dance on my
programs. Somehow they enhance the evening.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Priscilla Burrage Vermont US
(pburrage@zoo.uvm.edu)

Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Message 12146 · Freeman/Pavey · 29 May 1998 05:09:18 · Top

Priscilla M. Burrage wrote:

> I always try to include an Attwood, a Goldring, and a Campbell dance on my
> programs. Somehow they enhance the evening.

OK, I'll look at Attwood and Campbell too. Perhaps this is getting
beyond my limited abilities..... Time to fall back on, "I'm only a
beginner, you know."

Cole
--
http://www.peterboro.net/~tay/
Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario

Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Message 12151 · Ron.Mackey · 30 May 1998 00:37:57 · Top

> Priscilla M. Burrage wrote:
> >
> > I always try to include an Attwood, a Goldring, and a Campbell dance on my
> > programs. Somehow they enhance the evening.
> >
> OK, I'll look at Attwood and Campbell too. Perhaps this is getting
> beyond my limited abilities..... Time to fall back on, "I'm only a
> beginner, you know."
>
> Cole
Hi Cole,
If you are only a beginner you couldn't do better than to include 25%
or more of Goldring. He's interesting, logical and smooth. He's
the one I fall back on to give the class a mental rest.
Added to which, if he finds he can't explain what he wants in a
couple of lines, he bins it!
Cheers, Ron :)

< 0 Ron Mackey,
'O> Mottingham,
/#\ London. UK.
l>
Ron.Mackey@btinternet.com

Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Message 12152 · Freeman/Pavey · 30 May 1998 01:12:06 · Top

Ron.Mackey wrote:

> Hi Cole,
> If you are only a beginner you couldn't do better than to include 25%
> or more of Goldring. He's interesting, logical and smooth. He's
> the one I fall back on to give the class a mental rest.
> Added to which, if he finds he can't explain what he wants in a
> couple of lines, he bins it!

I'm learning a lot from my question on Cosh/Drewry. We are running a
dinner dance tomorrow night in Maberly with Bobby Brown and his band.
It is the last in a series of six dances we have done this
winter/spring. So, after it's all over I'll start looking into Goldring
et al.

Thanks.

Cole
Maberly, Ontario, Canada
--
http://www.peterboro.net/~tay/
Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario

Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Message 12155 · Freeman/Pavey · 30 May 1998 04:19:09 · Top

B. G. Charlton wrote:

> G'Day,
I looked up your bio to see if you have ever lived in the Ottawa Valley
(where we are) because G'Day is also an Ottawa Valley expression,
usually said twice..."G'Day, G'day!"

> This doesn't answer your request, Cole, but ......

Interesting, nevertheless. I think the idea of making it more than just
a dance by bringing in some teachers for a sort of workshop is a real
possibility. The only problem with that is I don't want to turn what was
originally just a lark into an onerous time consuming project.

Cole
--
http://www.peterboro.net/~tay/
Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario

Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Message 12161 · Freeman/Pavey · 30 May 1998 17:08:18 · Top

Monica wrote:

> Something I went to once that was great fun (to me), was a special class on
> the dances of Jack McConachie. He's not strictly RSCDS, so his dances tend
> to be just that little bit "twisted", or unexpected. I really enjoy the
> difference, it makes you think and it's a lot of fun.

McConachie sources????

Cole
--
http://www.peterboro.net/~tay/
Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario

Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Message 12174 · M.J.Norman · 31 May 1998 11:37:22 · Top

>Monica wrote:
>>
>> Something I went to once that was great fun (to me), was a special class on
>> the dances of Jack McConachie. He's not strictly RSCDS, so his dances tend
>> to be just that little bit "twisted", or unexpected. I really enjoy the
>> difference, it makes you think and it's a lot of fun.
>
>McConachie sources????

I have a book collection of his stuff. Can't remember the name of it.
Give me a few days and I'll get back to you. (Perhaps Marjorie might know
off the top of her head??)

Monica

Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Message 12176 · John Wood · 31 May 1998 17:55:21 · Top

Hi, Folks:

> >McConachie sources????
>
> I have a book collection of his stuff. Can't remember the name of it.

I have three booklets entitled "The Imperial Book of Scottish Country Dances,"
Volumes One, Two and Three. Jack McConachie devised some of these dances; others
were I.S.T.D. competition entries.

Dance Titles:
Volume 1 [Published 1966]
Bonnyton Woodie (Jig)
Cargill's Leap (Jig)
Inverane Rant (Reel)
The Pretender (Reel)
Skyte Neuk (Strathspey)
Castle Brae (Strathspey)
Lady Mary Douglas (Jig)
Gadie Reel (Reel)
Merry Meg's Strathspey
Caledonian Strathspey
Lowern Fair (Reel)
The Twa Corbies (Reel)

Volume 2 [Published 1971]
The Blacksmith of Elgin (Jig)
Alison Rose (Strathspey)
Whigmaleeries (Reel)
Duncan's Jig
The Longhope Strathspey
The Road to Rothsay (Reel)
Simon Bruce (Strathspey)
The Changing of the Guard (Jig)
Loch Ness Monster (Strathspey)
Jack O'Carron (Jig)
Four of Diamonds (Jig)
St. Andrew's Double Foursome (Medley)

Volume 3 (Published 1977)
The Mill of Haldane (Reel)
Miss Nicholl's Reel (Reel)
The Forth Bridge (Reel)
The Travelling Tinker (Jig)
O'er The Forth to Fife (Reel)
The Wee Croft (Reel)
Brig O' Bogendreep (Reel)
The Strathgade Reel (Reel)
Tiptoe and Sway (Reel)
Road to Tomintoul (Reel)
Kith and Kin (Strathspey)
Tiptoe Jig (Jig)
Aird of Coigach (Jig)
Follow My Love (Jig)
Linn of Dee Medley
Mrs. Stuart Linnell (Reel)
The Fair Isle Stacs (Strathspey)
Scotch on the Rocks (Jig)
Thistle Down Reel (Reel)
The Caryl's Jig
Moonrakers (Reel)
Silver Penny (Strathspey)

Hope that helps answer some of the questions!
Regards,
John
Bedford, Nova Scotia

Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Message 12193 · Freeman/Pavey · 1 Jun 1998 19:39:46 · Top

M.J.Norman wrote:

> >McConachie sources????
>
> I have a book collection of his stuff. Can't remember the name of it.
> Give me a few days and I'll get back to you.

Thanks; It looks like you won't have to as others have waded in with
lots of sources. This mailing list is certainly a great source of SCD
info.

Cole
--
http://www.peterboro.net/~tay/
Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario

Cosh! It's going to be . . . . .

Message 12194 · Freeman/Pavey · 1 Jun 1998 19:39:59 · Top

John Wood wrote:

> > >McConachie sources????

> I have three booklets entitled "The Imperial Book of Scottish Country Dances,"
> Volumes One, Two and Three. Jack McConachie devised some of these dances; others
> were I.S.T.D. competition entries.

> Hope that helps answer some of the questions!
Yes, thank you.

Cole