strathspey Archive: Hoopers Jig

Hoopers Jig

Message 11912 · B. G. Charlton · 2 May 1998 10:18:04 · Top

Courtney Cartwright described bars 17-24 exactly as we would dance it here.
He commented :

>Clear as mud, isn't it?

I agree. It is much easier to dance than describe, as anyone who has had
to brief the dance knows!

Brian Charlton
Sydney, Australia

Hoopers Jig

Message 11914 · Priscilla M. Burrage · 2 May 1998 18:27:48 · Top

On Sat, 2 May 1998, B. G. Charlton wrote:

> I agree. It is much easier to dance than describe, as anyone who has had
> to brief the dance knows!

Have you considered describing the paths danced by the first man and third
woman, for example, as long thin ovals?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Priscilla Burrage Vermont US
(pburrage@zoo.uvm.edu)

Hoopers Jig

Message 11917 · John Cahill · 2 May 1998 22:56:30 · Top

Priscilla M. Burrage wrote:

> On Sat, 2 May 1998, B. G. Charlton wrote:
>
> > I agree. It is much easier to dance than describe, as anyone who has had
> > to brief the dance knows!
>
> Have you considered describing the paths danced by the first man and third
> woman, for example, as long thin ovals?
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Priscilla Burrage Vermont US
> (pburrage@zoo.uvm.edu)

At least one teacher in southern California refers to it as "the rubber band"
figure. It's not only shaped like a stretched-out rubber band, but you dance
out to the 3d woman's/1st man's place ("as far as the music will let you go")
and then "snap" back to place. Not a very orthodox description, but the
beginners don't forget it.

John Cahill
piobair@earthlink.net

Hoopers Jig

Message 11918 · S.M. Gent · 2 May 1998 23:06:30 · Top

> > Have you considered describing the paths danced by the first man and third
> > woman, for example, as long thin ovals?
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> At least one teacher in southern California refers to it as "the rubber band"
> figure. It's not only shaped like a stretched-out rubber band, but you dance
> out to the 3d woman's/1st man's place ("as far as the music will let you go")
> and then "snap" back to place. Not a very orthodox description, but the
> beginners don't forget it.

We were always taught it as sausages, just as we were for Inveran Reels.

Seonaid.

Hoopers Jig

Message 11920 · Benjamin Stein · 3 May 1998 00:34:51 · Top

I always liked my wife's description of this figure. It works very well and
is a particular help to new dancers:

First man and third lady cross, giving right hands in passing and while
they loop around
First lady and third man cross with right and while they loop round
First man and third lady cross back to place, man casting into second place
while
First lady and third man cross back, giving LEFT hands in passing and-first
lady STRAIGHT ARMS SECOND LADY INTO FIRST PLACE!

Sorry! I didn't mean to shout!

Ben Stein
Burlington, Vt., USA
Dancers@Compuserve.Com

Hoopers Jig

Message 11945 · cnordj · 5 May 1998 00:34:57 · Top

One of our teachers recaps these 16 bars as "the big X". Very useful term. Carol J.
------------
On Sat, 2 May 1998, Benjamin Stein <dancers@compuserve.com> wrote:
>I always liked my wife's description of this figure. It works very well and
>is a particular help to new dancers:
>
>First man and third lady cross, giving right hands in passing and while
>they loop around
>First lady and third man cross with right and while they loop round
>First man and third lady cross back to place, man casting into second place
>while
>First lady and third man cross back, giving LEFT hands in passing and-first
>lady STRAIGHT ARMS SECOND LADY INTO FIRST PLACE!
>
>Sorry! I didn't mean to shout!
>
>Ben Stein
>Burlington, Vt., USA
>Dancers@Compuserve.Com

======================================
Carol N. Johnson, Los Angeles area
(We's all angels here)
cnordj@sprynet.com
======================================

Hoopers Jig

Message 11927 · Ned Dairiki · 3 May 1998 23:06:16 · Top

On Sat, 2 May 1998, John Cahill wrote:

> At least one teacher in southern California refers to it as "the rubber band"
> figure. It's not only shaped like a stretched-out rubber band, but you dance
> out to the 3d woman's/1st man's place ("as far as the music will let you go")
> and then "snap" back to place. Not a very orthodox description, but the
> beginners don't forget it.
>
> John Cahill
> piobair@earthlink.net

We learned that part as "step up stupid." (to the 2nd lady as 1st lady rtns..).
It's not particularly forgettable either.

ned dairiki
berkeley,ca