strathspey Archive: Dancing on crutches (was Wheelchair dancing)

Dancing on crutches (was Wheelchair dancing)

Message 11864 · The_Healys · 29 Apr 1998 19:55:53 · Top

Jenn Sawin writes:

> Two of us then devised a dance (strathspey) easily done by
> 3 couples all on crutches. The key was to minimize handing and
> maximize other forms of interaction.

Red House on crutches! Now, there's a Ceilidh item :)

Jim Healy
Pert, Scotland

Dancing on crutches (was Wheelchair dancing)

Message 11870 · Trans Vector Technologies, Inc · 29 Apr 1998 21:03:33 · Top

>> [Jenn Sawin:] Two of us then devised a dance (strathspey) easily done by
>> 3 couples all on crutches. The key was to minimize handing and
>> maximize other forms of interaction.
>
>[Jim Healy:] Red House on crutches! Now, there's a Ceilidh item :)

Pretty hard on the crutches I'd say!

Cheers, Oberdan.

Phone: (805)484-2775, FAX: (805)484-2718, EMail: ootto@tvt.com

Dancing on crutches (was Wheelchair dancing)

Message 11873 · Jennifer_Sawin · 29 Apr 1998 21:43:14 · Top

um, Jim, the OTHER key was to have it be a strathspey!

<snip>Jenn Sawin writes:
> Two of us then devised a dance (strathspey) easily done by
> 3 couples all on crutches. The key was to minimize handing and
> maximize other forms of interaction.
Red House on crutches! Now, there's a Ceilidh item :)
Jim Healy
Pert, Scotland

Dancing on crutches (was Wheelchair dancing)

Message 11905 · Hugh Goldie · 1 May 1998 23:26:19 · Top

I danced one dance on crutches a couple of years ago at Pinewoods. It was
Sean Truibhas Willichan and it seemd to work pretty well. My partner was
Jane Angstrom, who was rather good at adjusting to the unusual situation.
It gave me a big lift after my injury and it didn't seem to bother the
other dancers.

Strathspey setting was a little strange, but worked if you didn't go too
far to the sides. I did not give hands when I crossed or set on the
sides. If I remember correctly, we might have done a two hand turn after
dancing down the middle, with my partner's hands on my shoulder and my
hands on the crutches ;-).

Hugh Goldie Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
goldie@duke.usask.ca

Dancing on crutches (was Wheelchair dancing)

Message 11897 · Michael Hanson · 1 May 1998 05:03:46 · Top

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Oberdan Otto wrote:

> >> [Jenn Sawin:] Two of us then devised a dance (strathspey) easily done by
> >> 3 couples all on crutches. The key was to minimize handing and
> >> maximize other forms of interaction.
> >
> >[Jim Healy:] Red House on crutches! Now, there's a Ceilidh item :)
>
> Pretty hard on the crutches I'd say!

Just the thing if Bobi Yaga's house took a trip. ;)