strathspey Archive: Attraction of Scottish Dancing

Attraction of Scottish Dancing

Message 11000 · Ron Macnaughton · 19 Feb 1998 06:58:38 · Top

>Jim McCullough <jmccullo@erols.com> wrote:

Why do Scottish dancers seem to be disproportionately drawn from the ranks of
scientists, mathematicians, computer persons, historians, archivists,
and librarians ?

Great observation. I have a theory to explain why many very accomplished
people are attracted to Scottish Dancing.

Scottish Dancing takes a lot of work and mental effort to get into. Reels,
2 hand pas de basque turns, complex dance patterns etc are not easy to
learn. There is a pleasure to master those, and the great variety of other
things we do as Scottish Dancers.

That along with captivating music, beautiful surroundings (people and
rooms), lively movement, courtly manners and great people make Scottish
Dancing an irresistible activity to me.

Ron Macnaughton
Bolton Ontario

Attraction of Scottish Dancing

Message 11002 · Richard L. Walker · 19 Feb 1998 07:12:19 · Top

Wow. Makes it difficult to follow that with,
"Let's BOOGIE."

> Scottish Dancing takes a lot of work and mental effort to get
> into. Reels, 2 hand pas de basque turns, complex dance patterns
> etc are not easy to learn. There is a pleasure to master those,
> and the great variety of other things we do as Scottish Dancers.
> That along with captivating music, beautiful surroundings (people
> and rooms), lively movement, courtly manners and great people
> make Scottish Dancing an irresistible activity to me.
Richard L. Walker
Pensacola FL (City of Five Flags) USA
rlwalker@granis.net

Attraction of Scottish Dancing

Message 11045 · Ron Mackey · 23 Feb 1998 01:23:48 · Top

> Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 23:58:30 -0500 (EST)
> To: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
> From: Ron Macnaughton <macnr@interlog.com>
> Subject: Attraction of Scottish Dancing

> Why do Scottish dancers seem to be disproportionately drawn from the ranks of
> scientists, mathematicians, computer persons, historians, archivists,
> and librarians ?

Hi,
Does no one else get home from teaching a class, sink into a chair
with a long drink and a sigh and wonder why there should be so many
idiots who take up SCD ??? :)))
Cheers Ron :)

Ron Mackey London UK
`O> |EMail Ron Mackey mailto:Ron.Mackey@BTinternet.com |