strathspey Archive: ADMIN: Mail outage

ADMIN: Mail outage

Message 10902 · Anselm Lingnau · 13 Feb 1998 10:35:00 · Top

I've had to update our mail system due to the fact that some lowlife
found it convenient to relay a bunch of advertising messages through
tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de. This problem is now solved. However, due
to an oversight on my part the distribution of the Strathspey list has
stopped working as of about 9:00 UTC yesterday. Any messages that you
have submitted afterwards are in the archive but have not been
distributed to the subscribers. I'm appending a handmade `mini-digest'
of the messages in question.

Anselm

From: Peter Hastings <P.Hastings@roe.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 08:32:23 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Glaring Inconsistency...

...and we wouldn't want our essentially human activity to be imperfect...

Peter Hastings
Royal Observatory
Edinburgh
(:
From: "S.M. Gent" <smg08@students.stir.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 10:01:23 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Dance pseudonyms

Another two for the list:-

Duck and Duckess of Edinburgh.

Actually, I'll need to get back to you on the second one, because I've
forgotten it again. It was something to do with ducks again.

Seonaid.
From: "Ian Brockbank, DIGITAL Software Engineering" <brockbank@movies.enet.
dec.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 10:14:23 -0000

My father-out-law refers to
'The Knees of Baggy Trousers' (The Bees of Maggieknockater)

Cheers,

Ian
--
Ian.Brockbank@edo.mts.dec.com Edinburgh, Scotland
Grand Chain: The Scottish Dance and Music Resource:
From: "S.M. Gent" <smg08@students.stir.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:10:09 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Set to and turn corners

> Well, we might see if you have super-strong arm muscles :-)
> Alan

Not it's a head and shoulders picy. Anyway, I tend to dance on my feet,
not my hands!

BTW John Fenningworth says hello to you and Elke.

Seonaid.
From: Rita Hamilton <harpist@infi.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:27:06
Subject: "Hamilton" Music

Below is a list of tunes I'm looking for. How many books have any of these
in them?

Thanks,

Rita

Bill Hamilton
Colonel Hamilton of Pencaitland
Colonel Hamilton's Delight
The Duchess of Hamilton
The Duke of Hamilton's reel
Graham Hamilton of Glenwood
Graham Warren Hamilton
Hamilton Hall
Hamilton House
Hamilton Races
Hamilton's
Hamilton's Strathspey
Hamiltonian
Ian Charles Hamilton
James Hamilton of Auchencruive
Lady HamiltonDalrymple's Strathspey
Maggie Hamilton's Jig
Mary Hamilton of Auchencruive
Miss Claire Hamilton Goodman
Miss Hamilton of Bangowrie
Mr Hamilton of Pencaitland
Mr Hamilton of Washaw's Reel
Mrs Hamilton of Pencaitland (maybe a typo)
Mrs Hamilton of Wishaw
Mrs Hamilton's Quadrille
Piper Hamilton
Stan Hamilton
Welcome to Hamilton House

From: "Priscilla M. Burrage" <pburrage@zoo.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 08:45:20 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: (Set to) and turn corners (3)

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Mel and Ellie Briscoe wrote:

> Another (small) point: I've heard it said that Miss Milligan stressed
> dancing "naturally."

Whenever I hear the expression 'danncing naturally,' I think of Balkan
dance where the feet may express 'the beat' much of the time, but it is
really felt 'naturally' by the Balkan solar plexus, a feat that takes a
long time for a 'natural' Scottish dancer to feel. Also, I think of the
dancers from Bali, who keep time to the music with their triceps and their
feet, legs, hands, heads, and maybe even solar plexi look confusingly out
of time to the SC dancer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Priscilla Burrage Vermont US
(pburrage@zoo.uvm.edu)
From: Bryan McAlister <bryan@bryanmac.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 22:33:43 +0000
Subject: Re: set to and turn corners.

In article <34E1CF76.E13F753F@paranor.ch>, Alan Paterson
<alanp@paranor.ch> writes
>S.M. Gent wrote:
>
>> > Looks Like Cole is going to have to extend his bios web-page to include
>pictures so we can
>> > all judge the merits of this posting. You will provide a picture won't you
>Seonaid?
No one asked for my photo. Humpfhh!

Bryan McAlister B. Arch RIBA ARIAS MaPS, Linlithgow,Scotland
Web page http://www.bryanmac.demon.co.uk
/\
_ _ / \
_/# #\__^__/____\_
__IIIII__#__IIIIII_________
From: DERF <frparks@dryden.lakeheadu.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:51:19 -0500
Subject: Re: Just a thought

At 07:58 AM 2/11/1998 -0900, you wrote:
>Oberdan wrote:
>>Peter Hastings asks a couple of rhetorical questions:
>>
>>> Surely there are forms and styles of dancing which _do_ pander to
>>> the average ?
>>>
>>> Why do most of the people on this list _not do_ these types of
>>> dancing ?
>>
>>I sure don't know of a dance form or style that is "easier" than SCD. Each
>>dance form I have encountered has had its own degrees of complexity and
>>difficulty that are the equal of and sometimes more difficult than what we
>>do in SCD.
>
>In my experience, when one compares a dance that requires intermediate
>skills in American Square dancing or New England Contra dancing with a dance
>requiring intermediate skills of Scottish Country Dancing, both Square and
>Contra Dancing are definitely easier. There is very limited special foot
>work involved for Square or Contra dancing, and that automatically makes
>those dance forms easier, IMO.
>
>Ken McFarland
>
>--
>Ken McFarland <farlands@polarnet.com>

Although, I cannot speak from any great depth of experience, I can offer a
new dancers perspective.

I have Square and Ballroom danced at the beginners level, and have also
taught "folk dance" at the elementary school level ( grade 2 up to grade 8).
The thing that has struck this beginner as difficult about SCD (define
difficult please: more challenging, hence fun) is that some of the moves and
figures do not seem to flow naturally and that you must always be thinking
as you are never really, even as a post, out of a figure.

I do not recall ever coming off a left hand star into a left hand turn in
Sq. Dance. Blew this feeble little brain away the first three times we did
that in SCD. ;) I also enjoy the "It's always done this way unless ..." to
which Bev (our instructor) attaches a list as long as the Constitution.
Kind of reminds one of English Spelling where, GHOTI can be phonetically
pronounced as FISH.

I must confess that I sometimes long for the "feet thinking" of other
beginner levels of dance that I have done. I think that's why I love "Gay
Gordens" so much.

IMO. no shouting intended ;)

From: Jodie Hebert <ADVH@MUSICA.MCGILL.CA>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 10:51:13 EST
Subject: Montreal Ball

The RSCDS Montreal Branch warmly invites you to their 39th Annual
Ball, to be held Saturday, March 28th, 1998, in the Trianon
Ballroom of the Holiday Inn, Pointe Claire, Quebec, Canada (20
minutes from beautiful downtown Montreal!)

PROGRAMME (*All dances will be briefed*)
Galloway House 32R RSCDS Graded Book
Mrs. Stewart's Jig 32J Book 35
Jimmy's Fancy 32S Book 14
The Falls of Rogie 32R J.Atwood, Alexander Dances
De'il amang the Tailors 32R Book 14
Miss Milligan's Strathspey 32S RSCDS Leaflet
Seton's Ceilidh Band 64J Morison's Bush Collection
INTERMISSION
Duke of Atholl's Reel 32J Book 16
The Quaich 32S J.Drewry, Rondel Book
The Triumph 24R Book 1
The Bramble Bush 32J Book 25
The Balmoral Strathspey 32S Book 22
Minard Castle 40R Book 22
INTERMISSION
Society Piper 32R R.Goldring, 10 Social Dances
Sugar Candie 32S Book 26
It's Just for Fun 32J Book 33
Let's Have a Ceilidh 32R R.Campbell, Glasgow Assembly
Adieu Mon Ami 32S Book 24
Montgomeries' Rant 32R Book 10

Tickets for the full weekend, including Saturday Reception and
Dinner, and Sunday Brunch and dancing, are $75 (Canadian funds) for
RSCDS members, $80 non-RSCDS members. Non-dancers' tickets are $45
or $50 if not an RSCDS member. Please note that tickets must be
obtained ahead of time, as they will not be sold at the door.

For application forms, private hospitality requests, or more
information contact Christine Champness, 604 Lakeshore Road,
Beaconsfield, QC, Canada H9W 4K4 (Tel) 514-697-8747
From: "mgillespie@mango.zw" <mgillespie@mango.zw>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 98 15:45:43 +0200
Subject: PdB vs SkCh

Hi!,

Can someone please put me right!. I have always understood that the Skip
Change of Step is a comparatively new modern step. The original travelling step
was all Pas de Basque and dates back before Messrs Milligan and Anderson. It was
used for 'Down the middle and back', 'Allemande', 'Promenade' etc.

Regards,

Malcolm Gillespie

(Internet address: mgillespie@mango.zw)
From: "Eric H. MacKay" <ericmackay@sprintmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:22:10 -0600

My worst slip of the tongue, as far as dance titles is, Strip the
Widow. Anyone familiar with that tune? Tine

From: mmnorman@macline.co.uk (M.J.Norman)
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 17:38:30 GMT

Is it too late to fling open the closet door, extend my right leg in fourth
and spring forward? I'll admit it too. I have always enjoyed the
challenge of good technique and a 2HPdB turn, if done with someone else who
can do it well, is exhilerating! (But then, I'm also a roller coaster
fanatic)
Although I've never really worried much about it before, I suppose
when I do come across people who find it difficult, I just adjust and go
on. As Brenda mentioned in another post, there are those who are "into"
the technique aspects of SCD, and those who aren't. No point in agonising
over it. Just keep dancing!

Monica

From: mmnorman@macline.co.uk (M.J.Norman)
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 17:40:27 GMT
Subject: Re: Introduction and obsession

>On Fri, 06 Feb 1998 21:37:09 -0500 Tom Miller <scouse@globalserve.net> wrote
>> 19 signs you may be obsessed with Scottish Country Dancing.

Or, every time you descend the stairs in your home, you turn your feet and
knees out, because you think it will help your turnout. :)
(Slightly less revealing than Cole's :))

Monica

ADMIN: Mail outage

Message 10911 · SMiskoe · 13 Feb 1998 14:51:30 · Top

Anselm -
My email list recently began listing the origional sender of the message
rather than strathspey as the sender in the incoming box. Is this something
that you have instigated or something that my email is doing? It is easier to
delete when I'm away and the list piles up if there is a delineation between
strathspey and other messages.
Cheers,
Sylvia

ADMIN: Mail outage

Message 10912 · Anselm Lingnau · 13 Feb 1998 15:22:51 · Top

SMiskoe@aol.com writes:

> My email list recently began listing the origional sender of the message
> rather than strathspey as the sender in the incoming box. Is this something
> that you have instigated or something that my email is doing?

As far as the mailing list is concerned everything should be just like
it always was. The update I was talking about this morning only applied
to the mail transport, which does not look at the inside of the
messages (mostly).

The Strathspey list has left the original sender of a posted message
intact since the very beginning. It only adds a `Sender:' header giving
the address of the list maintainer (me), and a `Reply-To:' header
directing replies to the message to the list. Thus:

To: you@wherever.net
From: somebody@somewhere.net
Sender: strathspey-request@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de

This is something I haven't touched for more than four years. If there
are spontaneous changes in what you see locally, chances are that this
is due to your own software. Big providers such as AOL and companies
offering Internet-to-some-PC-system mail gateways are often notorious
for not paying close attention to the Internet standards dealing with
electronic mail, and things do tend to get mangled in obvious or
not-so-obvious ways when passing through such systems. There is little
one can do about this except for changing providers or software, which
in most cases is not feasible.

Anselm