strathspey Archive: Re[2]: (Set to) and turn corners

Re[2]: (Set to) and turn corners

Message 10790 · Jennifer_Sawin · 10 Feb 1998 15:47:51 · Top

>>A number of times Hamilton House has come to my attention, and each
time on (re)reading the instructions, I have concluded that class time
was better spent teaching other dances. Doing PdB ad-nausium is not my
idea of fun.<<

Oh, come on, Oberdan, where's your sense of adventure? Last month's
advanced social in Delaware Valley (you need to understand that the
program is "potluck" - any dancer is invited to write in a dance
provided s/he is prepared to select music and either brief it or
arrange for a briefing from someone else) saw us dancing Hamilton
House AND Petronella in the same evening! All we needed to make the
evening complete would have been Golden Pheasant...

;)

Jenn

Golden Pheasant & other popular dances (was (Set to) and turn corners)

Message 10799 · Trans Vector Technologies, Inc · 10 Feb 1998 19:23:26 · Top

Jenn Sawin challenges...

> Oh, come on, Oberdan, where's your sense of adventure? Last month's
> advanced social... ...saw us dancing Hamilton
> House AND Petronella in the same evening! All we needed to make the
> evening complete would have been Golden Pheasant...

Jenn, you're right! I need that kind of adventure in my life. Oddly, folks
around here are likely to permute both of the words in that dance name to a
metal of little or no luster and a bird of far less intellegence. I wonder
if any of our contributors has a comprehensive list of endearing substitute
names?

Cheers, Oberdan.

Phone: (805)484-2775, FAX: (805)484-2718, EMail: ootto@tvt.com

Golden Pheasant & other popular dances (was (Set to) and turn corners)

Message 10816 · Anselm Lingnau · 11 Feb 1998 10:26:11 · Top

Oberdan Otto <ootto@tvt.com> writes:

> I wonder
> if any of our contributors has a comprehensive list of endearing substitute
> names?

A Dutch gentleman I have often had the pleasure to study under likes to
announce The Montgomerie's Rant as `Monty Python's Flying Circus'. IMHO
this may have some justification as far as the flying is concerned (and
possibly the `circus' as well, particularly at social functions late at
night) -- but if Sousa's Liberty Bell march is anything to go by, a
dance by the name of MPFC should surely be a jig :^)

Anselm

PS. There seems to be considerable scope for a Monty Python Collection.
The Ministry of Silly Walks comes to mind as another good title for
a dance (most likely a strathspey) ... If you see this as a ceilidh
act remember you heard it here first.
Citing the bible to prove the existence of Jesus Christ is like citing
_Looney_Tunes_ to prove the existence of Bugs Bunny. --- Perry B. Friedman