Differents peuples...Hospitality at St. Andrew's ???

Hugh Goldie

Message 7807 · 28 May 1997 04:42:49 · Variable-width font · Whole thread

Last summer, My wife Jean went on a trip to Scotland with 14 Highland
dancers from Saskatchewan, Canada, including our daughter. Here are her
comments about Scottish country dancing at St. Andrew's. It seems strange
that she would find it difficult to find partners at St. Andrew's. Given
Miss Milligan's views on the social nature of SCD, as expressed in "Won't
You Join the Dance", I should expect the R.S.C.D.S. function to be a very
friendly one.

Hugh Goldie Saskatoon, Canada xxxxxx@xxxx.xxxxx.xx

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 14:07:44 -0600 (CST)
From: Jean Goldie <xxxxxxx@xxxx.xxxxx.xx>
To: Hugh Goldie <xxxxxx@xxxx.xxxxx.xx>
Subject: Re: Differents peuples, differentes moeurs? (fwd)

When I visited St. Andrews last August I had eagerly anticipated dancing
on this "hallowed ground," having bought new slippers at James Senior's
that afternoon, and looking forward to christening them that evening at
the last social of summer school. We had brought all the highland dancers
(14 of them) plus all the parents (5) plus Wendy, the teacher, to watch
this new aspect (to them) aspect of Scottish culture.

I soon realized that I did not know anyone there, even though we had lived
and danced in London, Ontario; Boston, and San Diego; I also calculated
that "the action" was on the floor sidelines, and not in the audience
seats, so sat on the sidelines. The person to whom I was chatting
before the dance started quickly left when the first dance was called;
however, a very nice older man asked me to dance when I was left alone.
Sat out the next dance, and then danced with another woman when more
couples were needed for dance #3. That was it, so I went to join our
group upstairs, and we left soon thereafter for our trip back to Glasgow.

It was disappointing, to say the least, my first experience with, as good
friend, Jean Gibson, describes it, "the Mecca of Scottish Country
Dancing."

Perhaps it was a problem with the fact that the tickets to these socials
are handled by the Tourist Board, and not the summer school people
themselves, and they didn't have any means of identifying visitors to
their dance evening. Anyway, I either wouldn't bother going in the
future, or make sure I knew at least one other dancer who would be
attending that evening!

Jean Goldie xxxxxxx@xxxx.xxxxx.xx