Paying for dance descriptions

xxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx

Message 62821 · 29 Jun 2012 23:45:11 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

If you buy the booklet, music or whatever directly from the author, they will get full renumeration. Often the author will sell books to a vendor, at 40% off. Or to a wholesaler at 60% off. Just because you buy from a store doesn't mean that the author doesn't get anything. They just don't get as much as if you bought directly.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Ferguson <x.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx>
To: strathspey <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
Sent: Fri, Jun 29, 2012 5:29 pm
Subject: Paying for dance descriptions (was: Marie Boehmer dances)

Dear Iain,

Sending information around the world (like your message, this
message, dance collections and tunes) can nowadays be done instantly
and at no cost.

Nobody will begrudge an author or composer his due remuneration, but
when we buy the paper books nearly all the money goes to publishers,
printing companies, taxes and postal services. Why should we be
incited to pay for all of that, when we have no idea how much (if
anything) the author / composer gets, and also have to accept long
delays?

It is obvious that sending dances and music around the world on paper
is an outdated method of communication.

The SCD community needs to devise a method of distributing dances
(etc.) that gives proper remuneration to the artists who wrote them,
without incurring any extra costs. I see two possibilities which can
coexist.

1. If an author/composer wants to donate the proceeds to charity (as
many do), it should suffice to add a line to the description/tune
"If this dance/tune is used at any social event for which admission
is charged, we trust that you will donate the sum of XXX to a charity
in the field of YYY." That will surely raise more (and recurrent)
revenue than paying once for the publication.

2. For those authors/composers who want to collect the cash
themselves, could the Strathspey website (or the RSCDS) perhaps set
up a webshop where one can pay and then download?

Who has better ideas?

Happy dancing,

Eric

--
Eric T. Ferguson,
van Reenenweg 3, 3702 SB ZEIST Netherlands