Unit 5 - Fast Track

Andrew Smith

Message 62723 · 22 May 2012 09:30:55 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

I failed Unit 5 recently.

I had a good portfolio for Unit 4, but think that part of my problem, apart
from plantar fasciitis at the wrong time, was not having a regular class to
teach during the two years. I think that gives one much more confidence when
going in to the lions' cage, and I felt that the benefit from it showed in
the other candidates during the course, all of whom passed.

There is no substitute for experience.

Andrew Smith,

Bristol, UK.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Monica Pollard" <xxxxxxxx3@xxxxx.xxx>
To: <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:31 AM
Subject: Re: Unit 5 - Fast Track

And just to add my own 2 cents of personal experience with the process;
I was in the opposite situation of not being able to take Unit 5
within the (rather new) 10 year time limit. So I was quite happy to
find the Convenor has some discretion with the rules to allow me to
wait until the next time Unit 5 was offered as summer school. Of
course that sort of thing has to be arranged ahead of time,
pro-actively.

I also don't think the 2-year waiting period is too long. There's no
harm, and a lot of possible good, in gaining more teaching experience
over time. I was an academic (English) teacher before becoming an
RSCDS teacher, but teaching a physical activity is not the same thing.
Unit 5 is a fairly high-pressure experience. The more confidence,
subject knowledge and class-management skills you can bring along, the
better, IMHO. :-)

Monica

--
Nampa/Boise, Idaho, USA

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a
horrible warning."
Catherine Aird