Rob Roy

Rebecca Sager

Message 62419 · 17 Feb 2012 15:50:28 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

It's not Terpsichore - probably Susie Worland/Lyle Ramshaw on The Breakdown. I actually prefer it, marginally, to Peter White (which we do have in remastered form). Both use The Lovat Scouts as first and last tune, but I enjoy The Girl I Left Behind Me as one of the supporting tunes. Incidentally, on Susie's earlier recording, The March Hare, she has a good 5x40-in-10-bar-phrases track for Wha's at the Window, which uses two tunes from Peter White's Wee Cooper o' Fife. I have tried teaching Wha's at the Window (John Mitchell) with varying degrees of success - it has mirror reels of five and a grand chain for ten, one bar per hand. Great fun. Becky

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about
learning how to dance in the rain." Vivian Greene

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Rod Downey <Xxx.Xxxxxx@xxxx.xxx.xx.xx>
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: Re: Rob Roy (was: Why Have things Changed)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 21:59:57 +1300 (NZDT)

Hi all,

We tend to use the Terpsicore recording of Rob Roy, rather than the one by
Peter White. Anyway while we do have both, for most the former is
a better suggestion as it is
available on a CD.

Almost all of the Waverley Fugues have that property that they are all
``partner'' dances where it is possible to help a reasonable partner
through, say as opposed to the (fun) Kelpie of Lock Coruisk where you tend
to say bye bye to the partner, incidentally a really fun dance if you
happen to have 7 couples. (The Border Wizard also by Priddy is also
a 7 couple a bit like that but rather harder, because of the 7 couple
diagonal half rights and lefts it finishes with.)

Of the Waverley Fugues our group liked (variously)
Malcolm Misticot (a fugal ``jessie's
hornpipe'') and Dugald Dalgetty, and I particularly like Magdalen
Murdockson. These dances are really rewarding, as they are intricate and
need phrasing as well as track following. The ones from the Glendorrach
Sheets are also of interest, and some quite difficult. From there I like
Stroangassel and Dundrennan. A canon which is not too difficult and very
fun is the dundee city police jig, and the waves on the waimak (``prelude
and fugue'') is also quite accessible.

It is also really interesting to go back and dance some of the older
devisor's
dances like Priddy, Foss and Cosh (and Hay) as you soon discover they had
some
brilliant dances seldom done nowadays, with lots of highly inventive
ideas.

happy dancing,

rod