Fugal Fergus (was Re: 48 bar dances)

Rebecca Sager

Message 62374 · 15 Feb 2012 23:52:51 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

Well, sometimes we do schedule Fugal Fergus in its own right. Sometimes we schedule Waverley OR Fugal Fergus, the MC saying - if you want to dance Waverley, join the line of sets to my right, Fugal Fergus to the left. The relationship IS the music, and the fact that Hugh Foss named the book in which Fugal Fergus is number 1, The Waverley Fugues. I much prefer Fugal Fergus, because being old and pas de Basque challenged, I'd rather reel than dance a poussette followed by double triangles. Becky

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about
learning how to dance in the rain." Vivian Greene

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Lara Friedman-Shedlov <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx>
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: Fugal Fergus (was Re: 48 bar dances)
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:34:19 -0600

So this reminds me about a question I've had for a long time:

I like Fugal Fergus, and I like Waverley, but I have never understood
why Fugal Fergus is often substituted for Waverley at a dance, or why
Fugal Fergus almost never appears on the programs on its own. It's
not like Fugal Fergus is really a variation on Waverley. It bears
very little in common with Waverley other than the chasing figure, the
total number of bars, and the music. I enjoy dancing Waverley and
find it rather frustrating when other dancers in my set decide they
would rather do Fugal Fergus. Like I said, Fugal Fergus a great
dance, but why should Waverley always get bumped for its sake, and why
not just put Fugal Fergus on the program to begin with, if that's what
people want to do?

Lara Friedman-Shedlov
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Lara Friedman~Shedlov