Rebecca Sager

Message 62170 · 31 Dec 2011 15:08:04 · Variable-width font · Whole thread

The cover is, as Anselm says, surreal on my Kindle. I hadn't seen it before today although I loaded the cribs before Christmas. You have to page backwards from the "beginning" of a Kindle book to see the cover, and in many cases a bunch of other interesting stuff. Thank you for doing this Anselm - it's great, and the table of contents works well. Thank you for the cribs, Eric, I've always respected their clarity and accuracy. Happy New Year to all, Becky

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA
          "Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about
learning how to dance in the rain." Vivian Greene

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Anselm Lingnau <xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: Re: Loading Eric's cribs as EPUB to an iPhone
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 12:43:06 +0100

Oberdan Otto wrote:

> By the way, there is a pretty neat graphic for the "book cover" for which I
> assume Anselm must take credit!

This is actually based on a photograph that I took from the balcony during the
&#65533;SCD Kaleidoscope&#65533; ball near Geneva in the summer of 2009. I like to take
long-exposure pictures because they look much more dynamic than the ones you
get where people are frozen in mid-air with appendages sticking out in various
directions. On hardware-based readers like the Kindle the surrealist
appearance is enhanced by the fact that the &#65533;e-paper&#65533; screens of these devices
can only display 16 shades of grey, but this experience is probably lost on
iPhone users who will see the &#65533;cover&#65533; in colour. Also, the Kindle cover is a
GIF picture while that of the EPUB version is in JPEG, i.e., it theoretically
supports more colours (which again is nothing that the e-paper users get to
take advantage of).

The cover is really there because the e-book creation programs tend to bitch
and moan if you don't include a cover.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears