Controversial View - footwear

Pia Walker

Message 61644 · 5 Aug 2011 09:56:10 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

I use a Jazz shoe - it has split sole, and a small unobtrusive heel - it is
a little bit more clunky than a pump, but the way it is built, supports my
instep better. For dems I use what the team demands, but for class work and
at dances, I use what I feel best in.

Pia

-----Original Message-----
From: jo.pickering [mailto:xx.xxxxxxxxx468@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx]
Sent: 05 August 2011 03:47
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: Controversial View - footwear

Has anybody considered dancing not wearing so-called gillie (?ghillie,
?gille) pumps or similar soft flat shoe.

My understanding is that traditionally these were only worn for solo
competition or display dancing and that country dancers wore ordinary shoes.

Nobody wants people spiked with stillettos but on the other hand shoes
without heels play havoc with your arches and virtually force you to dance
on the toes all the time, which is a bit hard going for the not so young.

I can actually dance quite happily on my toes and enjoy doing it, but I feel
a bit sorry for some folks hobbling about in shoes which I'm sure they feel
obliged to wear, but are doing them no favours.

Jo
Sent using BlackBerryR from Orange