Monymusk and others was: Re: re 3cpl dances in 4 cple sets

jo.pickering

Message 61554 · 3 Aug 2011 11:32:27 · Variable-width font · Whole thread

Well I thought my Monymusk comments would provoke an exciting response!

I suppose Monymusk is a marmite dance.

If you like it you do
If you don't then you boo (or possibly hide in the loo).

I personally find the tune a bit of a dirge. It was written by Daniel (or Donail) Dow in about 1760 as Sir Archibald Grant of Monymusk (A reel). It was then pinched and Strathspeyified by Niel Gow. But in those days Strathspeys were played at a much faster tempo. It must be good though because it's lasted a long time.

Jo
Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

-----Original Message-----
From: Rod Downey <Xxx.Xxxxxx@xxxx.xxx.xx.xx>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 19:57:24
To: <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
Subject: Re: Monymusk and others was: Re: re 3cpl dances in 4 cple sets

Whoa, I *love* monymusk. It is easy enough to help beginners thru,
has lovely music, and with a good partner is a treat. You can really
step it out if you desire. And it
is very social. The only reason I would leave it off an annual dance
(where I put it in the second half usually for when people a getting a bit
tired) is for variety for the year. Then I would replace the dance in that
position with something similar. Not the Lover's Knot, even though I like
it too but the musicians complain.

I was looking at 3 formal dances in about 4 weeks here in Wellington
and they had Monymusk, the next had Sugar Candie, and the last
Miss Gibson.

Perhaps the people who send to Campbell are not necessarily representative
of the world of SCD programme devisors.

I mean, sure I like Lucy of Lammamoor and the like, but programmes need
to cater to all; and many of those classical dances are really very
social. Yes I am always wanting to put a bit of a challenge on a *2-3
dances)(with an
advisory 2 stars to the effect don't do this one unless you are either
very confident, and have done it before, (e.g. The St Nicholas Boat,
Qaurries Jis), one
star means a bit challenging, but accessible if
find a clever partner (e.g. The Abbot of Unreason, Wee Cooper of Fife,
Up in the Air),
but the majority
should be accessible to all. It
is social dancing, and a fun set with an engaged partner and nice music,
what else is needed. Otherwise you go to those dances with people
ernestly studying cribs between dances and not socializing, and it somehow
loses that element. It is not an exam after all.

rod

PS One very interesting fact is that one of the most popular and enjoyed
dances we offer in Wellington is the New Dancers' Celebration,
and the experienced love it because they actually know most of the dances
well.