Miss Manners [teachers at workshops]

David R. Quarrie

Message 6076 · 10 Jan 1997 21:53:27 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

Not that I get invited to teach at that many workshops, but when I do,
I consider it part of my duties to dance as many dances as possible,
even if my feet are killing me, my back hurts, etc. After all, the
organisers have paid for me to be there and deserve their money's
worth. I'm always delighted to be asked to dance (anyway!).

Having said the above, I know that my wife Avril has suffered from not
being asked to dance by men (other than those that she knows
personally) when she's a teacher at a workshop. Is this a situation
where men are intimidated perhaps?

David
David R. Quarrie Lawrence Berkeley National Lab
EMail: XXXxxxxxx@XXX.Xxx MS 50B-3238, 1 Cyclotron Road
Tel : (510) 486-4868 Fax:4004 Berkeley, CA 94720

----------
From: Sandra J. Rosenau[SMTP:xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxx]
Sent: Friday, January 10, 1997 7:40 AM
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxx-xxxxxxxxx.xx
Subject: Miss Manners

I've often wondered how groups of dancers respond to "famous"
out-of-town visitors. At weekend workshops well-known teachers are
brought in, who of course attend the Ball. I've heard it said that
one of
the unfortunate aspects of workshop teaching is that nobody asks you.
Is this true? I'd like to hear from people who teach workshops.
Being
[. . . .]
dancer, due to their British ways...Any thoughts out there?
Sandra Rosenau, Dayton, Ohio, USA
xxxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx