Change in the Modern World

Pia Walker

Message 58836 · 1 Jun 2010 15:40:22 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

We could issue badges at the beginning of an evening, so people could
determine if they wanted to dance a particular dance with someone :>)

Or split the sets up so at the left hand side it would be dancers who
preferred going left, to the right those who use right and the ones in the
middle who are still deciding, but who may change their opinions at some
stage :>)

Sounds a bit like Westminster!!!!!!!

Pia

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian & Vicki Brown [mailto:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx]
Sent: 31 May 2010 10:37
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: RE: Change in the Modern World

Ah, for the first time, an explanation for the left foot
rule that I can believe.

However, in my view the questioner is quite right, the rule
is perverse. In my experience the possibility of an
intersecting jeté is more than a possibility - it is a
probability. The good news is that if this rule were
dropped then those who prefer to dance with the right foot
first could do so whilst others could carry on with their
left. No-one else in the set would be affected (except the
dancers' partners, who might expect to be kicked less
often).

In other words, how about a coalition of the right footers
and the left?

Ian Brown
Harrogate Saltire Scottish Country Dance Club