Change in the Modern World

Mike Briggs

Message 58819 · 31 May 2010 16:07:17 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

OK, the quick-time poussette is in open rather than closed position. That being so, it made perfect sense to me as an adoptive Wisconsinite to start it on the left foot, like a polka (which is our official state dance).

Mike Briggs
1519 Storytown Road
Oregon WI 53711-1925 USA
+1 608 835 0914 (voice)
+1 608 237 2379 (fax)

________________________________
From: Oberdan Otto <xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx>
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Sent: Mon, May 31, 2010 8:12:49 AM
Subject: Re: Change in the Modern World

I heard Malcolm's explanation many years ago when I was a fledgling dancer.

When we dance the Poussette, we are directly in front of out partner. However, when we Waltz, we are in a closed position in which the lady is slightly offset to the Man's right side, so, if she stepped forward with her right foot it would go between her partners feet, not onto his left foot. So it is curious that we kept one part of the Waltz mechanism (opposite footwork) while throwing away the aspect that made it work well (partner offset to the right).

However, I must confess that in several decades of dancing, the number of times my jete has touched my partner's I can count on one hand. It is a very low probability event, especially if you take into account that we are directing the jete toward the direction in which the couple is moving.

Cheers, Oberdan.