Need help with

Rebecca Sager

Message 58780 · 24 May 2010 15:36:04 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

Surely The Bonnie Lass of Bon Accord is not an obscure tune? I'd assume it would be in the repertoire of anyone playing for SCD, but I could be wrong. It disappointed me last year in Florida when we had to dance Montgomeries' Rant and Bratach Bana to generic reel sets. That was with a Scottish musician, admittedly more of a ceilidh player but one who had played for SCD a lot.

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about
learning how to dance in the rain." Marcy Shirley

From: Roderick Johnston <xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: Re: Need help with
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 06:25:09 -0700 (PDT)

As a musician, I'm sorry but I'm getting on my High Horse again.

I'm not saying that this is the case in this instance but, as a musician, it is very
difficult sometimes to put together sets of tunes for dances if insufficient time is
given, especially if you want the original tune. The night before or even a couple of
nights before is not enough time to put together a dance set, let alone several and then
practice so that they are good enough for a performance. Unless perhaps if you are
retired or a professional musician. Not all of us are George Meikles' , Muriel
Johnstons and the like who have years of experience and have 100s of sets prepared
and practiced. As you may gather this is a gripe of mine.

A...... this is not a dig at you if you read this.

Roddy