Lady Catherine Bruce's Reel (not jig) Urgent help

RODERICK JOHNSTON

Message 58752 · 17 May 2010 23:05:27 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

Once again thank you all for your immediate responses.

Rod,
Fort William

________________________________
From: Rod Downey <Xxx.Xxxxxx@xxxx.xxx.xx.xx>
To: SCD news and discussion <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
Sent: Monday, 17 May, 2010 21:18:28
Subject: Re: Lady Catherine Bruce's Reel (not jig) Urgent help

I thought they were after Lady Catherine Bruce's reel.

Lady C Bruce's reel is out of the miscellanies and is a reel
which from memory is original or ``any good reel''. Actually in the
miscellanies
most dances would be
like this and in the old edition I don't recall an own tune.

The dance is a jumble of formations with a promenade for 3C
followed by an allemande for 2C as the progression.
Maybe there's a circle in there also to begin
and a figure of 8. Its a beginners or advanced technique dance.

If this is the one they want any good reel with strong phrasing
played ABAB would be my guess. I'd pick something like
``The Black Dance'' or Captain McBean's Reel or the like.

rod

On Mon, 17 May 2010, Roderick Johnston wrote:

> Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 18:51:40 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Roderick Johnston <xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
> To: SCD news and discussion <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
> Subject: Lady Catherine Bruce's Reel  (not jig)  Urgent help
>
> I have been asked to play the above REEL for a class on Wednesday night.  I can find no reference to a reel of that name only a jig.  The dance tutor says there is a reel of that name as well as the jig.   Does anyone know what the set tune should be.

Rod,
Fort William