RE: Tournée - end of bar 4

Gary Knox

Message 58690 · 13 May 2010 15:42:38 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

I was always taught to retain hands. But think about the "flow of the dance" - there is no logical reason to make the awkward move to release hands and then rejoin.

Gary

______________________
Gary Knox
SF Branch
xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx
 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Healy [mailto:xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2010 6:20 AM
To: Strathspey List
Subject: RE: Tournée - end of bar 4

Greetings!

Shocked and stunned that Sophie does not have a manual to hand at work. Tut! Tut! ;o)

However, what it says for bars 2-4 is:

<Quote>

2–4 Both couples dance round half-way, anti-clockwise, the two men turning their partners across in front of them on the fourth step so that all are in a line up and down the middle of the set, the women facing towards the man’s side and the men facing towards the woman’s side of the dance.

<Unquote>

So, no answer to Wouter's original question but I have always taught (and been taught) that both couples release one hand and retain the working hand (right at the top; left at the bottom) ready to start the turns.

HTH

Jim Healy

Perth, Scotland

When we come to be instructed by philosophers, we must bring the old light of common sense along with us, and by it judge of the new light which the philosopher communicates. Thomas Reid, 1710-1796

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/