Multiple messages

Pia Walker

Message 58660 · 7 May 2010 13:28:08 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

As always - thank you very mucha and enjoy your weekend

pia
-----Original Message-----
From: xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Sent: Fri, 7 May 2010 10:27:40 +0200
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: Re: Multiple messages

Eric Ferguson wrote:

> So please send no more messages to complain of multiple messages - as they
> will multiply too -- and lead to complaints -- which will multiply .......

Actually for some reason the problem only concerned four messages (out of the
recent spate that we've been seeing).

I just had time to look into this briefly and it appears that for some reason
the process that sends out mail to subscribers gets sidetracked long enough
that the mail server thinks it must kill it off and consider the message in
question undelivered, so the process gets another go at delivering the same
message again later on. This explains why the multiple copies of the same
message all look alike except for the final »Received:« headers -- kudos to
Eric Ferguson not only for documenting this problem very well but also for
calling me up on the phone to make sure I was aware of the problem! I've now
upped the timeout on the delivery process from 1000 seconds to one hour, and
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will alleviate the problem until I
get back from dancing the night away to the music of Keith Smith and Muriel
Johnstone in Paris :^), which as I said will be on Wednesday as Eva and I want
to get some sight-seeing in, too.

As a matter of fact our mail system will go on the operating table Real Soon
Now to fix some long-standing efficiency issues, and I shall make a note to
make sure that this sort of problem gets addressed in the process.

Finally, as an aside, I have a filter in my in-box that gets rid of any
duplicates of messages with the same message ID, which is why I didn't notice
the problem myself right away. As soon as I get around to it I shall exempt
the Strathspey list from that filter so I can be in the, er, loop.

Thank you very much for your indulgence!

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Dreams are true while they last, and do we not live in dreams?