Camp (coffee)

Moira Theriault

Message 58619 · 6 May 2010 05:10:35 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

I grew up in Scotland, not on tea, which my mother drank in abundance, but
Camp Coffee, which I thought was coffee but was, in fact, chicory essence.
I vividly remember the Indian Sikh standing beside the soldier, holding a
tray. I used to gaze at the label often as a young girl because the soldier
was the spitting image of a young policeman that my Perthshire policeman
father worked with and I had a crush on. The present soldier has lost those
good looks :)
Here is the article in tomorrow's (Thursday)Daily Mail:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-404516/Camp-coffee-forced-change-lab
el-PC-brigade.html

Moira Theriault
Colorado Springs, USA

-----Original Message-----
From: Norma or Mike Briggs [mailto:xxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx]
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 7:10 PM
To: Strathspey
Subject: Camp (coffee)

This is off-topic, but I thought others might be curious. I have fond
memories of Camp Coffee. During WWII my parents ran a small cafe in
England, and Camp was what they used to make coffee for the customers.

Still on the market, apparently, but it's been run through the p.c. mill
according to Wikipedia:

"The label is rather old-fashioned in tone, consisting of a drawing of a
Gordon Highlander soldier (allegedly Major General Sir Hector Macdonald) and
a Sikh soldier sitting down together outside a tent, from which flies a flag
carrying the drink's slogan, "Ready Aye Ready". This slogan uses the form of
the
Scots "aye" meaning "always" so the drink was "Ready Always Ready" to be
made. Originally the picture depicted the Sikh as carrying a tray of coffee
-- an intermediate version, with the Sikh standing but the tray missing was
also used (see the fan site link below for this version of the label) -- it
is widely believed that this was changed to avoid the imperialist
connotations of the Sikh as a servant, although the company does not confirm
or deny this.[3][4] The original drawing was by William Victor
Wrigglesworth."

Other websites describe it as "glutinous" or as "Scottish goo," so perhaps
this isn't so far off-topic (we have after all been talking about camp in
SCD.

Check Uncyclopedia for pix of the original and current labels (the current
one slightly amended by the author of the website).

Mike

Briggs Law Office
1519 Storytown Road
Oregon WI 53711-1925 USA