Youtube - Schiehallion

Pia Walker

Message 57468 · 24 Nov 2009 09:26:52 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

Good for you Anselm - people who stop to watch a performance wants to be woved and entertained - they do not want to be educated.

With regard to ballet etc - it is not the execution of the performance which makes children want to take part - ask any child who goes to a ballet performance (not a ballet dem) if he/she wanted to be a ballet dancer because of the perfect execution of the assambles - and they will tell you that they emphasised with the 'star' - it is not "I want to do en pointe just like that" - it is I want to be Giselle. I want to be Beckham in the football world.

Which is why I dispair when I see a beautifully executed dem. danced by people who are as lifeless as putty, going through the motions without showing joy. It may look beautiful to the Scottish Country Dancer, because we know what we are looking at, but to the uninitiated, it looks boring. How can we show people it is fun, if we do not look as if it is. If we really wanted people to do SCD, we should put together a performance, make it look good, and behave so that people say - I want to be that dancer - then they will go to class to become dancers.

Another thing - children - how can we teach children dancing, when they are never near adults soical dancing? - we can teach them steps, and some dances, but if we never mix with them, how can the learn to mix with us?

Pia
rant unlimited.

-----Original Message-----
From: Anselm Lingnau [mailto:xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx]
Sent: 24 November 2009 00:18
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: Re: Youtube - Schiehallion

Denise Smith wrote:

> Was it meant to entice people to dance - or was it done to entertain - and
> in doing so, make people aware of the existence of SCD. Not all dems are
> done in the hope that people will flock to the SCD classroom door.

I don't actually believe any longer that »dumbed down« dems will encourage
more people to try SCD. We've been trying all sorts of dems over the years and
the number of people who came to join our club after having watched a dem of
whatever complexity remains at a steady zero (that's »0« for the
mathematically-minded in the audience). (For the record, we do get new people
in but our main means of recruitment these days is the group's web site.) So
for our recent spate of performances we have moved from the deliberately-
simple, walk-on style of dem that will in theory have the audience think »*I*
could do that and I'm so going to dance with these folks next Tuesday« to
choreographed display pieces that (according to what we hear) have the
audience think »Wow!«.

There are no specially simplified versions of classical ballet or Premier
League soccer to encourage new people to start. What you get at the theatre or
the stadium is tough, dedicated professionals giving it all they've got, to
deservedly great effect. However, this type of professionalism does not in the
least seem to deter many of the young from wanting to join a ballet class or
soccer club, even though only a minute fraction of these beginners will ever
make it to where the action takes place at the Bolshoi or the World Cup
finals. If anything, it serves as a source of inspiration to those who do
carry the ambition to become very good, while those whose abilities and/or
urges to improve have »maxed out« at a modest level still like to watch a top-
class ballet performance or football match.

Many pursuits manage to appeal to everyone from bumbling newbie to seasoned
pro, and there is no particular reason why that shouldn't apply to SCD as
well. Not everyone of us can be in the Younger Hall demonstration team at
Summer School (or would even want to), but that doesn't mean dancing can't be
fun for all the rest, too.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
C YES I AGREE. I STARTED OUT PROGRAMMING IN FORTRAN ON A TOPS-10 S 000100