Jessie's Hornpipe. Was: "The Flowers Of Edinburgh"

Pia Walker

Message 55768 · 1 May 2009 10:56:12 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

And if you were trussed up in stays, you might have been glad to have some
time to get your breath back and for your partner to enjoy your heaving
boosom - to say in Sophie's thread. :>)

Pia

-----Original Message-----
From: Sophie Rickebusch [mailto:xxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxx@x2.xx.xx]
Sent: 01 May 2009 09:49
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: Re: Jessie's Hornpipe. Was: "The Flowers Of Edinburgh"

Patricia Ruggiero wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>
>> A social dance in which one of the couples does nothing seems anti-social
>> to me. Both make quite fine two couple dances with minor changes.
>>

> As for dances in which the 3rd cpl does nothing, well, it wasn't unusual
in
> the 18th c. How well this was tolerated I can't say; but if it was
> accepted, I suppose folks back then had their reasons.

If you read Jane Austen, whole marriage arrangements seem to have been
done during dances, so 32 bars of "doing nothing" might have been quite
useful, perhaps? Also, before you actually get to marriage arrangements,
a full 30'' with nothing better to do than flirt with your partner
doesn't seem all that anti-social to me ;-)

Sophie

--
Sophie Rickebusch
Edinburgh, UK