"The Flowers Of Edinburgh"

Rosemary Coupe

Message 55765 · 1 May 2009 08:10:16 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

I think the chase typifies the Scottish version of this dance from about the
mid-19th C. The earliest Scottish "Flowers of Edinburgh" I know is from the
Hill MS of 1841. There the chase round the 2s and 3s is followed by the
figure of 8 which seems characteristic of the English and American versions
cited by Pat below. Here's how it goes in Hill:

The Lady turns round and crosses the dance two couples down and up the back
of the Gentlemen to her Partner’s place. At the same time the Gentleman
follows his Partner and up the centre to his partner’s place. The form [?]
is repeated again to their places. The first couple figure eight across.
Four hands full round, then hands right and left a couple down.

My copy of RSCDS Book 1 gives Boulogne's manual of 1827 as the original
source. It's not in Boulogne, but the Book 1 version is in most of the late
19th and early 20th century manuals. Some omit the setting after the chase,
but all have the chase around the 2s and 3s.

Actually this seems to have been one of the dances the early RSCDS would
have recorded from observation rather than resurrecting it from a manual--it
was in the repertoire of the dancing masters studied by the Fletts. The
Fletts also mention that sometimes the chase in "Flowers" was danced with
the "treepling" technique, and Hill also gives a solo version of "Flowers"
with many single or double "trebles" or quick in-out movements of the feet -
it fits the emphatic tune well.

Back to the country dance: Mackay's manual (Stirling c.1910) gives the
figure 8 as an alternative figure--maybe a vestige of the 18th C version?
Oddly enough, Mackay writes, "The figure 8 is by all means the better of the
two ways, but it is more complicated."

Rosemary Coupe

Vancouver