Abbotsford Lassies (was Dances in a square set)

Rebecca Sager

Message 55747 · 29 Apr 2009 14:56:39 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

Thank you for this little dance, Chris. I (and I'm sure most of us) have been enjoying your distillations of our online ramblings in The Scottish Country Dancer.

I taught the dance twice, so far, to a class with a number of beginners, and as a warmup on the platform at the Loch Norman Games. My observation - from dancing the first time as 4M - is that it is far easier to explain bars 17-24 in terms of what the men do, as they are always in the same position. 2M and 4M, already in motion as they complete their chase, pick up the new woman on their RH to advance and retire. Then 1M and 3M a and r with the women on their RH. Seems easier than having to remember who is 1L this time through.

Becky

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA

From: Chris Ronald <xxx878@xxxxx.xxx>
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: Dances in a square set
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 09:36:48 -0400

An easy dance in a square set that I use quite a lot with beginners isAbbotsford Lassies, by Charlie Inglis (Ottawa).It's only available as a leaflet, as far as I know, so I've pasted a"minicrib"-style rendering of the dance below.Chris, New York.ABBOTSFORD LASSIES (H4x32) Sq.Set 1- 8 1s+3s set, change places RH up and down, face right, and danceround the outside of the set back to places (finish in partner’s place). 9-16 2s+4s repeat.17-20 1L+2M & 3L+4M (each couple taking nearer hands) advance andretire on the diagonal.21-24 2L+3M & 4L+1M repeat.25-32 Circle 8H round & back. Men finish where they began, but withnew partner.PS. This dance would be well worth a place in the new graded book, IMHO.