Essence of SCD (was changing tunes)

Angela Bulteel

Message 55493 · 26 Mar 2009 18:53:44 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

We must all strive to be open minded, however we should all bear in mind
that many people enjoy what they have considered for some 8 decades, to
be the sound of scottish music, and the style of scottish country dancing.
The introduction or osmosis of other styles ,in either instruments, music
and /or dancing - be it american, indian, afrikan influenced and the like,
when mixed into scottish for variety, will over time inevitably change
beyond recognition, that which those at present consider the original style.
A degree of restraint is perhaps advisable. For it should be worthy of note
that if those among us incline towards a more international style of music
and dance, they have a choice, as there must be many such organizations
world wide,which are open to them. In the same vein, those who prefer what
at present is universally regarded as scottish, should have the opportunity
of preserving and enjoying their chosen style, without fear of being
labelled too purist or just plain old stick in the muds. Variety and new
ideas are to be welcomed, especially if a society or style is to continue,
but those innovations should be kept where possible,within the precepts of
what the majority might call the original style.
Today, Miss Milligan and her ideas are much maligned by some, but she did
start a great society albeit with her own interpretation of what she saw as
original scottish country dancing and it's music. This society is world
wide with many thousands of members, who belong to it because they became
interested in what and how she preserved and regulated it. Please don't let
us change it too much.
Finally, as a light hearted illustration -I dont think it would go down
too well if I belonged to a belly dancing group and kept trying to suggest
they dance in longwise sets of eight , to Ian Mcphaill's band playing The
Duke of Atholl's Reel . Angela

l Message -----