Borrowed tunes (and tune medleys) (was Langholm Fair)

Pia Walker

Message 55345 · 21 Mar 2009 00:46:39 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

And changes makes for that added lift in the dancing.

And tongue in cheek - the question was when did this creep in - I suspect
when musicians learnt more than one or two tunes :>) :>)

Aaarrrggghhh!!! I know, I know - I'm going to be on someones hit list now.

Pia

-----Original Message-----
From: XXxxxxx@xxx.xxx [mailto:XXxxxxx@xxx.xxx]
Sent: 20 March 2009 23:23
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: Re: Borrowed tunes (and tune medleys) (was Langholm Fair)

I try to find the suggested tune and usually it works thanks to John
Chambers and the strathspey server and a few other friends. If I can't
find it,
then I just use my discretion.
When I first was playing the usual format was 1-1-2-2-3-3-1-1. That was
fine for quick time but it meant that the 16 bar strathspeys were played 4
times. Then the 1-2-3-1-2-3-2-1 crept in. I don't know where it came
from. Now
everyone uses 1-2-3-4-2-3-4-1.
If you are playing 32bar jigs and reels you don't need to keep changing
tunes although it is such the norm that dancers rely on the music change to
start
the dance. But think about playing 16 bar tunes. You need to change tunes
to help keep track of the number of times. Try playing Fairy Reel 8x or
even
16x. Who's keeping the numbers straight. And if you are playing a 40 bar
dance you really need the crutch of a change tune to keep the order
straight.
Same for a 48 bar dance.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA