What is a 'gypsy turn'?

Pia Walker

Message 54428 · 14 Dec 2008 17:58:27 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

I dance without having to refer to the hierarchy and have done most of my
life, but it has been great occasionally to go to the Manual and find out
how to and why when I'm teaching. In my opinion the Manual does not tell
you what is right or wrong, but gives a solution to some conundrums.
Eventually I'm sure more formations will be included - as in all written
material the manual is out of date the minute it was published. The gypsy
turn turns up more and more now, but a few years ago it was a rare sight
(and I would dearly love for someone to determine what is a correct gypsy
turn as it covers a multitute of sins) - and I love them all.

For example, I would use 'gypsy turn' to explain a half turn and twist
without holding hands. But do you use skip change of step to travel towards
and past your partner, and then change to pas de basque for the turn or do
you continue with skip change of step. It is little snippets like that
which makes the Manual invaluable.

OH and it brings a whole new concept to SCD - you gaze deeply into your
partners eyes - Aaarrrgghhhhh - how will we survive :>)

Pia

What has the Pope got to do with SCD? - we all know that Miss Milligan was
she who had to be obeyed.