RSCDS membership requirement (was RSCDS AGM motions)

Pia Walker

Message 53898 · 21 Oct 2008 09:14:23 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

Am I right in thinking that there is a general belief in some areas that
affiliated SCD-groups in a certain area are affiliated to the branch in that
area - and not, as is really the case, directly to the RSCDS? This thread
seems to confirm that.

Pia

-----Original Message-----
From: Anselm Lingnau [mailto:xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx]
Sent: 20 October 2008 23:44
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: Re: RSCDS membership requirement (was RSCDS AGM motions)

Mike Briggs wrote:

> Could someone point me to the provision(s), if any, in the Society's
> constitution that prohibit(s) someone from being a club member if that
> person is not also a Society member?

The Society is not in a position to prevent people from joining random
*other*
dance clubs. We're not a religion or a nation state.

What we *can* do is stipulate who gets to be a member of a Local Association
(commonly called a "branch"), as LAs need to enter into a "license
agreement"
with the Society as a prerequisite to actually becoming an LA, and we don't
license groups of people if they don't agree to play by the Rules. The
Rules,
section VI.2, decree that

"A proposed Local Association/Branch may be licensed by the Society
provided that the following conditions are fulfilled.

(a) All members of the Local Association/Branch must be members of the
Society.

..."

thus unless the prospective LA exhibits a constitution that makes Society
membership mandatory for their members they will not be licensed. End of
story.

The motion put forward by New Zealand Branch is looking to get this changed
(among other things), although the actual proposed change in Appendix D of
the 2008 AGM agenda does not, in fact, seem get rid of clause (a), which I'd
assume would be necessary for the change to work -- it does insert a new
clause (b) stipulating that all branch *office bearers* must be members of
the Society, but if one presumes that one needs to be a member of the branch
to be an office bearer, what the new (b) does would automatically follow
from
clause (a), anyway. But then again I don't even play a lawyer on TV, so what
do I know?

The constitution is available as
http://www.rscds.org/uploads-work-in-progress/Constitution%20-%20Rules%20Nov
%2006.pdf
and the 2008 AGM agenda can be found at
http://www.rscds.org/agm-2007-public-material/02AGM2008FinalAgendaV2.pdf/at_
download/file .
(It beats me why one would need to be logged in as a member to be able to
access the agenda, which is in a folder called "public material" alongside
all sorts of other items that are, in fact, accessible to non-members, and
pertains to a meeting that is, by law, open to the general public. The
caveat
at the end of the previous paragraph applies.)

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany .....................
xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx