Cultivating musicians (encores)

Ian Price

Message 5279 · 22 Oct 1996 20:49:50 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

----------
From: Ian Price
To: strathspey
Subject: Re: Cultivating musicians (encores)
Date: 21 October 1996 09:07

>2. The biggest challenge I find in MC'ing is balancing the chat
>time between dances with the need to keep the momentum going and,
>here I disagree with Ian Price - one minute is too little to allow
>a man (biological or titular) to escort partner back to the side of
>the hall and get across to the other side of the room to greet
>another person and ask them to dance. And, having seen the black
>looks from the floor when a programme has been cut because there
>were too many encores, I'm with the "if in doubt, don't" school.
>
>Jim Healy
>Perth, Scotland

Not quite what I was suggesting <backpedalling>.

My point was that _even_ if EVERY dance on a 21-dance program was encored,
it would _still_ leave 1 minute dead time plus 3 minutes forming up time for
the next dance. The reality is that almost never would you come across a
program with more than say 50% encores.

I wasn't suggesting every dance should be encored, heaven forbid. The
point's been well made that familiarity breeds contempt, as well as the
other point of view (the Mae West school) that "Too much of a good thing can
be wonderful". Damned if I could ever even get through all the dances on a
program even once - the closest I got was at a Stan Hamilton Ball years ago;
bluidy man wouldn'y play anything I could sit out!

Ultimately, as we all really know, "the customer is always right". Whether
the judgement call is down to the MC or the bandleader's recommendation, it
can only be based on audience reaction. I'm appalled at the stories I read
here of bandleaders playing encores apparently to feed their own egos - I
mean, really??

It must make clear sense to conclude that if the encore call is marginal,
it's best to leave it out. I don't often see a marginal call however, it's
usually very clear-cut. And I don't need to be given the finger in order to
know!

Kind Regards,

/
/
/ __ ,__.

PS Jim's other point about a program being cut due to too many encores,
suggests that yet another factor to be taken into consideration when
devising a program is to recognise the encore potential due to local
popularity of the band/dance combinations selected, and accordingly schedule
either more time or less dances to the evening.