Tailoring demos to the audience

Pia Walker

Message 52757 · 6 Jun 2008 19:30:52 · Variable-width font · Whole thread

Do you always just want new members? Or do people sometime hire you to
entertain? - I don't agree that the simplest of dance equals dull - if the
dancers look as if they are bored to tears, yes of course the most intricate
dance will look absolutely boring, or even worse if the dancers look as if
the whole world are beneath them (and boy have I seen some examples of this
toe cringing behaviour) - if you look as if you love to dance, love to dance
with your partner, love the dance and love the music, and love the audience
then the dance will come over as something great. And looking as if is a
skill which is just as important as a perfect turned out foot, and has to be
taught as well. I myself am tired of looking at perfect dem teams that
execute to perfection, but with their noses firmly in the air, corner of
mouths firmly turned down and not a look to the other dancers. As someone
said to me a couple of years ago - who incidentally was very high up in the
BBC - "as if their selves are firmly stuck up their back....." (No wonder
we have difficulties in being seen or heard in the media if that is the
general opinion).

Pia