The Elephant's Stampede

James Tween

Message 52129 · 20 Apr 2008 12:42:09 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

Hi Clive,

Here are a few ideas based on CDs I have access to and my experiences of the
dance.

Traquair House - Sandy Nixton - Highlander Music SCD Vol. 1 (time 3:38)
Bolt Court - David Anderson - Highlander Music SCD Vol. 8 (time 3:37)
--- two nice and steady versions

La Tempete - RSCDS - A Scottish Celebration (time 3:32)
--- feels slightly faster

Meg Merrilees - Ian Holmes - Highalnder Msuic SCD Vol. 4 (time 3:32)
--- also slightly faster, and 8x24, but those numbers work

Crossing the Line - George Meikle - Highlander Music SCD Vol. 10 (time 3:25)
--- fast, and although it's 6x32, the quantities are right, and if it's just
for a class then you use what you've got and it's good practice to dance a
bit faster because you never know what'll be played at the ball!

They're all common CDs and both the Music In Scotland website and TAC, as
well as other places, should be able to get you what you want.

To really get the feel for the dance, it's nice to go that bit quicker
because the dance flows and moves fantastically well. Obviously slower
works better for learning it.

Hope these suggestions help.

James
Preston, UK