[bars II/29-32 I.P.'s Farewell to Auchertarder] (Fwd) helprequested!

Andrew Buxton

Message 48633 · 4 May 2007 11:15:23 · Variable-width font · Whole thread

Perhaps Kay Powers could say what she would regard as "definitive". We've had appeals to original instructions, the general intention of the dance, how it's "always" danced, what makes the best dance, what is natural, etc. I wrote to the list before about the hierarchy in what constitutes the "correct" version of a dance. Unfortunately it can't work like apostolic succession (the deviser teaches it first, these disciples teach the next lot of teachers, and so on) because many clubs have to rely on the written word (and diagrams if provided) for new dances. Then those taught will think that what they get is the "correct" version.

  Andrew Buxton
  Brighton, UK

James Tween <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx> wrote:
  It seems really unnatural NOT to go out the way you came. Also, as was said
earlier, the dane is very palendromic, especially as the first and last
figures are near mirrors of each other -- going out the way you came also
flows nicely out of the left hand wheel, and means that each dancer travels
the same distance. I've heard it described as winding up and winding down,
which especially helps people who're new to it get an idea of how the whole
thing feels.

James
Preston, UK

Sent: Friday, May 04, 2007 1:24 AM
Subject: Re: [bars II/29-32 I.P.'s Farewell to Auchertarder] (Fwd)
helprequested!

> Alas none of the six diagrams in the original Bill Hamilton instructions
> (assuming that that's what I have) is for bars 29-32 (of "2nd figure").
>
> I and everyone that I know have always done it the "Kay" way (home the way
> you came). I have never heard even a suggestion that it be done the
> "another
> teacher" way (both behind both).
>
> Unfortunately though the written instructions, to which I have never paid
> enough attention to be aware of this, since I've long known the dance,
> fully
> support the "another teacher" way. So either the instructions were
> incorrectly
> written by the deviser for what the deviser intended, or virtually
> everyone
> has long ignored what the deviser intended.
>
> The same is true of the second promenade, bars 1-8 of "3rd figure." The
> instructions say nothing about a counterclockwise promenade or anything
> else to
> imply that it is any different from 25-32 of "1st figure." I have long
> heard
> that the deviser had intended that both promenades run the same direction
> but that everyone has long ignored that and taught/danced the second
> promenade
> the other way around. Again the very same question arises. Is it that
> the
> instructions were so poorly written by the deviser so as not to indicate
> his
> own intent, or has everyone long ignored the intent of the deviser in
> universal acknowledgment that doing so creates a far better dance?
>
> Robb Quint
> Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

> http://www.aol.com.

-----
Andrew Buxton
Lewes, East Sussex, UK

 Yahoo! Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Tryit now.