'The Piper and the Penguin'

Pia Walker

Message 48076 · 5 Feb 2007 09:47:22 · Variable-width font · Whole thread

Would you not also have to arrange the drones differently - if you have the
bag under the other arm, your base-drone would be to the outside - as it is
heaver than the others, it would threaten to fall down at all times.

I didn't think that dancing was part of the Burns tradition at all.
Although it is nice when it happens. And am I much mistaken in that it is
an old male tradition? In the same style as funerals - i.e. women are not
allowed to be in on the fun.

Pia

-----Original Message-----
From: strathspey-bounces-pia=xxxxxxxx.xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
[mailto:strathspey-bounces-pia=xxxxxxxx.xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx]On Behalf Of
Campbell Tyler
Sent: 05 February 2007 07:35
To: SCD news and discussion
Subject: Re: 'The Piper and the Penguin'

Dick wrote:

> This is a
> subject to which I had never really given any thought before, but I'll
> have
> a new eye for piper practices in future.

Me too. I had the pleasure of attending a Burns Supper on Saturday
(evidently the third biggest in the world) where the Cape Town Highlanders
were in attendance. We are fortunate to have a band of this quality here,
they are currently receiving regular annual invitations to the Edinburgh
Tatoo. Unfortunately I only received John's email this morning and so
didnt check out which hand was on top, but I was able to confirm that the
whole band had their pipes on their left hand side.

> Incidentally, the most entertaining pipers I've seen recently were young
> lads.

The CT Highlanders showcased their youngest recruit, an 11 year old
drummer, who dazzled us with his drumming technique. All their drummers
interestingly are from the section of our South African population who
were denied such opportunities in earlier years. As a consequence (?)
they introduced us to their new range of musical pieces which they
classified as Afro-Celt Fusion! Lovely stuff. The Highland dancers who
performed were also dancing to non-traditional music such as selections
from Runrig.

By the way, is the huge gap evident here between Burns Supper organisers
and Scottish Country Dancers the same elsewhere? It was bizarre to find
the evening ending with a disco and not a suggestion of even a Strip the
Willow. The two groups dont seem to talk to each other at all.

Campbell Tyler
Cape Town

01:30