Originally Ours - Question for George or others

Karin Ingram

Message 47416 · 7 Dec 2006 18:41:10 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

The copyright issue is confusing to many, but musicians, composers and
promoters in the UK should visit www.prs.co.uk or telephone 0207-580 5544.
The Scottish MCPS/PRS contact is Duncan McCrone and his office number is
0141-204 4030.
Performing of tunes in or out of copyright is not generally an issue that
musicians need concern themselves about (unless they are being recorded onto
a commercially available product such as CD, DVD or video). Whoever is
organising an event must have a PRS licence (unless one is already held by
the venue). Therefore anyone running a dance class, whether using live
music or CDs, should check if the premises have a licence; if not, the
organiser of the class is breaking the law and runs a very real risk of
being prosecuted.
For those interested I will start a new thread with an explanation of
copyright taken from the PRS site.
Best wishes,
Karin Ingram
(Editor "Dance On!" & "Box and Fiddle")