Orcadian version?

Ian Brown

Message 46737 · 15 Nov 2006 11:41:33 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

Many thanks to all who have replied with advice on Orcadian
and Aberdonian styles!

I must say, I am in awe at the prospect of non-dancers being
brave enough to attempt these at a wedding. Whilst the
Orcadian StW lacks the (slight) complication of "first lady,
then man, then both" which so often seems to throw someone
in the set the prospect of a lonnnng set must be truly
awesome. In contrast, I should like to try the versions
described by George Meikle and Jim Healy and will look for
an opportunity to do so.

The Aberdonian Reel of the 51st has me puzzled. If each
second couple is active (which I presume means, every second
couple begins) then the "other" couples have a dual
responsibility as corners. This responsibility frequently
causes confusion (and much mirth) in Polharrow Burn and I
have no doubt will do so here too!

I shall ponder hard what advice to give to our non-dancing
friend who wishes to put up a good show.

Thanks again

Ian Brown
Harrogate Saltire Scottish Country Dance Club