Regarding Dance Technique and Etiquette

Pia Walker

Message 45490 · 9 Jun 2006 19:22:00 · Variable-width font · Whole thread

Why not hold a 'turning survival class' - where various styles and
techniques in turns are taught and also how best to survive them.

This way styles, techniques and safety can be incorporated for all kinds of
dances and everyone will have become a little more wise.

Pia

-----Original Message-----
From: strathspey-bounces-pia=xxxxxxxx.xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
[mailto:strathspey-bounces-pia=xxxxxxxx.xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx]On Behalf Of
Thomas G. Mungall, III
Sent: 09 June 2006 17:20
To: xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx; SCD news and discussion
Subject: Re: Regarding Dance Technique and Etiquette

Ian,

Actually the class does all sorts of dance traditions (American, French,
English, Irish and Scottish) from the late 18th through the 19th Centuries.
In addition to regularly scheduled period style balls, the group also
performs at area antebellum homes, living history events and nursing homes.

The actual dance in question was a Scottish Country Dance. Indeed, I have
also witnessed different dance traditions where hands are given at different
heights. I believe the English tradition of the early 19th Century was to
use a low hand hold. My main concern was the safety issue.

I do get your point about the teacher and the traditions of the group, etc.
which is a very valid point. That was why I was wondering how to discuss the
safety issue with them.

I find it interesting that the Tulloch turn variation in Posties is common
with SCDers in Scotland!

Cheers aye!
Tom