The Master of Ceremonies abbreviated

simon scott

Message 44536 · 7 Mar 2006 21:39:55 · Variable-width font · Whole thread

I understood that Fiona was questioning the use of "emcee" rather than
"MC"
Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: strathspey-bounces-simon.scott=xxxxx.xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
[mailto:strathspey-bounces-simon.scott=xxxxx.xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx] On
Behalf Of XXXX9@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 11:03 AM
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: Re: The Master of Ceremonies abbreviated

I´ll go with pedant on this one. It is neither a uniquely American or
British tradition to turn abbreviations, into acronyms, into what sound
like words. If HM can refer to the Queen, or an MP refer to the queen,
and MD for medical doctor, RSM, etc., there is no reason why a lowly
Master of Ceremonies can not be an MC. In the U.S. we have similar
conventions, and in most cases, it saves a lot of time, as in CEO, HR,
POTUS, C-n-C, OD, etc.