Dance Cards - clarification

Pia Walker

Message 44439 · 3 Mar 2006 10:17:49 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

SCD is an equal opportunities hobby :>)

David I dare you - go ask somebody you definitely don't know.

Pia

-----Original Message-----
From: strathspey-bounces-pia=xxxxxxxx.xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
[mailto:strathspey-bounces-pia=xxxxxxxx.xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx]On Behalf Of
ninian-uk
Sent: 03 March 2006 09:11
To: SCD news and discussion
Subject: Re: Dance Cards - clarification

Pia wrote a witty reply to the original query about 'dance cards'. However,
I'd like to correct one impression she seems to have inadvertently given...
MEN carry dance cards too - otherwise we lesser mortals will have forgotten
which lady has 'marked our card' for the each dance! (So, Alex, you were
correct - the person who wrote the article is a man.)

For example, I'm going to the Thistle Ball in Cheltenham on 25th April
(anyone else from here going? Fiona?) and when the tickets arrive there will
be a small folded card giving the name of each dance and a space beside it
to write down the name of your partner for each dance. During the period
between arriving at the Town Hall and sitting down to dinner, all the
dancers will circulate amongst their friends and find people free for each
dance. The drawback to this arrangement is that, if you are like me and only
know a few people there, you will end up dancing with your partner for most
of the dances.

Dance cards are usually only sent out for very formal balls. I much prefer
the more friendly SCD method of taking a partner when the music strikes up.

David

P.S. If anyone wants details of the Thistle Ball, contact me.

D N R J Bowd-Exworth
80, Lantern Close, Berkeley, Gloucestershire GL13 9DE
Tel: +44 (0)1453 819011