Reply so far

Alasdair Graham

Message 43300 · 30 Nov 2005 20:00:03 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

Pia,
Do you subscribe to the 'Dance On' magazine?
There was a two page article in the October issue where Findlay Forbes
explored the thought 'Whether Scottish Country Dancing was Art'. You
might get some answers there.

He explores whether SCD is an 'Art Form' that allows for creativity and a
certain degree of interpretation of the instructions or a 'Game' where
participants must do things by the book or risk censure for breaking the
rules.

He points out that where regulation is omnipresent and still growing, very
few people are likely to seek out a pastime that offers nothing but more
rules and regulations.

He goes on....... Should it continue in its present comfortable, dull but
ultimately moribund sporting and recreational existence or should it live
dangerously by aspiring to the condition of an art form?

Alasdair Graham
Dumbarton, Scotland.