ceilidhs

Pia Walker

Message 43081 · 8 Nov 2005 09:57:48 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

I was in Brazil a couple of years ago, and took in a 'local' dance show -
dancers and musicians showing tourists their local stuff - which is a bit
like a ceilidh - except of course the entertainers wear 3 sequins and a
feather instead of woolly skirts / white dresses :>) The females anyway

As in a ceidlidh we were on the floor more often than not - doing SAMBA - as
one dancer said to me - in Brazil, we don't do anything else - whatever it
starts out as, it ends up as SAMBA. Out of all the audience, I must have
been the only one to stand in a corner with one of the dancers, actually
learning the steps - the rest of the crowd were bobbing up and down quite
merrily on the dance floor, not giving a flying fig if they were doing the
right steps, were in time to the music or anything else - but they all came
away with the feeling that they had participated in something brilliant.
That is the feeling we should give new dancers, the 'of course you can do
it - you have two feet haven't you?' As I have said to new dancers: "It
is amazing you arrive with a right foot and a left foot, and before the
evening is over, you have managed to get two left feet instead".:>)

Pia