ceilidhs

Martin

Message 43061 · 7 Nov 2005 15:56:53 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

Joan's family ceilidh sounds like a great event, and it's good to know that
some children get introduced to dance early. Not everyone has SCD
grandparents, however!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joan Dahl"
> Granny-Jo had to buy her some dancing shoes in the morning!

Dancing shoes, too! Here we have to accept whatever people turn up in.
Regular dancers have ghillies or soft shoes, but for others ... these are
the rare occasions when I don't dance barefoot!

I don't teach any footwork, as I don't think the participants expect it or
want it, though newcomers see what the regulars do and sometimes imitate
them. They can attend classes if they want to learn more, but, on the
whole, once a month or so is quite enough. Not many under thirties seem to
want to devote more time than they need to such an unsexy occupation as SCD,
and, unfortunately, I don't thnk one can teach rhythmic stepping in oine
session. The one thing I do spend a little time on is the propelled pivot,
whihc is no fun if you can't feel the other person's weight -- or if you get
thrown off the floor!

French people, students, that have attended ceilidhs in Scotland find it an
unforgettable experience.
Some imagine they'll be able to recreate the atmosphere in France, and it is
quite fashionable now to have ceilidh dancing at a wedding party. Having
tried, I now pass on the name of musicians when asked, but have no intention
of tryng again to lead 100 neophytes through Dashing White Sergeant.

Martin