Fiddles & Boxes & violin joke

Ozorak

Message 39235 · 21 Sep 2004 15:35:29 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

When I danced to Don Bartlett's band, Alec played a Hohner Atlantic
Musette. This is the one he used on both recordings made around 1978.
(On Stan Hamilton's recordings, Bobby Frew also played a Hohner Atlantic
Musette). Much later (80's and 90's), both Alex and Bobby Brown moved
to playing a Petosa (Seattle accordion builders).

Etienne
Meadville, PA

-----Original Message-----
From: Jock McVlug [mailto:xxxxxx@xxxx.xx]
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2004 11:21 PM
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: Re: Fiddles & Boxes & violin joke

I'm finally able to access the 'net' again, so excuse me if I am late on
some subjects... :-)). The sound particular (some would say peculiar) to
the instrument (especially so with accordians) also makes a huge
contribution to the band 'sound'. A while ago a couple of emails
mentioned Don Bartlett and how good the 'sound' is. A large part of that
'sound' is the accordian that Alex Jappy plays. Alex still has that
instrument and when/wherever he plays it (yes, he's still a going
concern) at a Dance he still generates that marvelous 'sound'. Been
racking my brains trying to remember the name on the accordian (it is an
'unusual' one), but it escapes me just now.

And as far as 'fiddles' go..... my wife decided to take up the violin,
and not wanting to spend a lot of money on her first violin in case she
decided against it,..... well I can tell you that the difference between
her first and second violin was HUGE. Perhaps the 'joke' sums up my
first months of hearing someone learn the violin.

A lady is told by her doctor that she has 6 months to live
" what will i do ? " she says
" you could marry a fiddle player " says he
" what will that do ?" says she
" it will seem like an eternity " says he

Jack