Dancedata & Sutton Coldfield Dance Index

George Meikle

Message 38292 · 8 Apr 2004 10:29:54 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

In a recent '"The Luckpenny" and DanceData' item Iain Boyd wrote:-

"It is not as convenient as Keith Napier's and the UK
(my apologies - I have forgotten who produces it)

I take it Iain was probably referring to the Sutton Coldfield Scottish
Country Dance Index which is compiled by myself for the RSCDS Sutton
Coldfield Branch since Barry Priddey's death in April 1996.. As a new
updated and revised issue is due out in time for Summer School, I would like
to incorporate as many amendments/updates as possible into the new version.
It currently has well over 12,000 dances - slightly more than DanceData. I
am well aware of, and fully appreciate, the effort Alan must put into his
Dancdata site and like Iain I have supplied him with updates and entries
also.

I would dearly love to publish the index in an electronic form on the web
but that would involve a lot of effort and expertise which unfortunately
neither of which I have! Maybe one day!!

If people are submitting info to Alan Paterson for inclusion in DanceData,
it would be appreciated if they could also copy it me for inclusion into the
Sutton Coldfield Dance Index. My work on the Sutton Coldfield index is done
totally voluntarily and is indeed a labour of love - just ask my wife! The
branch do not make any profit from its sale, the charge made only covers the
printing and distribution costs for the index. It was originally compiled by
Barry for the benefit of country dancers and I believe the original database
probably predates DanceData by many years - Alan refers to it in his 'help
about' screen. It is now used as a useful reference point by many dancers
who either find a printed index more convenient/useful, or have no
electronic access to Alan's excellent database.

In the past I have frequently sent information (privately) to Strathspeyers
who have been looking for dance sources (sometimes they have not been listed
in DanceData) and I am more than happy to help out anytime if folks are
struggling to source a dance - just get in touch.

Many thanks in anticipation to all Strathspeyers.

George Meikle
Lothian Scottish Dance Band
xxxxxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxx.xxx