The Good Name of The Society (was Why the RSCDS?) (was Patronage and styling)

Andrew Smith

Message 38005 · 12 Mar 2004 08:49:54 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

Fiona wrote: > in other words it is the royal part of Scottish country
dancing. This might be a literal interpretation, but a) the majority of
English speakers surely understand the use of "Royal" in this and similar
contexts, and b) English is just about the last language in which to base an
argument relying on the rules of grammar.
To my mind to call ourselves THE SCOTTISH COUNTRY DANCE SOCIETY plays even
more in to the hands of the "elitist" group, especially if the emphasis goes
on "THE".
If someone wants to call themselves that, and from her tail-ending to a
Bristol, as far as I am concerned they are welcome, but I am sticking with
the RSCDS.
When the STDT was formed I was somewhat concerned that they might weaken the
RSCDS, but I do not think they have, and in fact because of their wider
remit I supported them for a few years initially.
It is fashionable to be more republican - I am against this fashion, being
unashamedly traditional in this respect. Do not be afraid to be part of
something good. Levelling down is the curse of any society, whether with a
big or little "s".
Happy dancing,
Andrew,
RSCDS, Bristol,