Lady Susan Stewart's Reel?

marjoriem

Message 36214 · 19 Aug 2003 02:10:58 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

Without question bars 9-16 are "set to corners and partner" or
hello-goodbye setting". I've never seen a description such as the one you
cited in either the large RSCDS book or any editions of the pocket books
that I have.

And as for being a favorite dance, it is certainly one of mine and I look
forward to enjoying it at the Jean Patrick Memorial Dance.

Marjorie McLaughlin
San Diego, CA

-------Original Message-------

From: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Date: Monday, August 18, 2003 4:13:55 PM
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: Lady Susan Stewart's Reel?

We're having trouble reconciling different descriptions of bars 9-16 of Lady
Susan Stewart's Reel (Book 5 #9). The cribs we consulted, plus Pilling's
green book (5th and 7th ed's), show this as set to corners & partner
(hello-goodbye setting), however the instructions from the compact version
of Book 5 state the following:

9 - 12 1S set to first corners, then turn corners by the right hand
(in four bars) to finish on the sidelines. 1S set to
partner across the dance on last two bars.
13 - 16 1S set to second corners, then turn corners by the right hand
(in four bars) to finish 1L between the 3S, 1M between the 2S
facing up and down the dance. 1S set to partner up and down
the dance on last two bars.

Is this an error? It seems that the description above is impossible to do
in 8 bars. I've never danced this but it's on the program of the SF
Branch's upcoming Jean Patrick Memorial Dance. A search of the Strathspey
archives revealed that several posters include it on their list of favorite
dances so I'm hoping someone can enlighten me! -Steve
--
Steve Wyrick -- Concord, California

.