Living History

Wouter Joubert

Message 35628 · 25 Jun 2003 16:39:33 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

I couldn't have said it any better!

Wouter Joubert
RSCDS Pretoria Branch
Suid-Afrika

-----Original Message-----
From: Xxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx [mailto:Xxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx]
Sent: 25 June 2003 04:25 PM
To: Xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: Living History

SCD is more than a tradition to me. It is a living history,
evolving,
changing and hopefully getting better. Much had been said as to what a
"traditional" this or that should sound like. But music is a subjective
thing, each
person having their opinion. If we look back into traditional styles and
tempos of
Scottish music, they would be undancable by most of us. It has all
evolved to
provide us with something more dancer friendly.
There are tunes I may find boring or styles that are too choppy,
vague or
uncertain. But they all have a place in this "living history" we call
SCD.
Modern musicians and devisers have enriched our dance experience,
traditional or
otherwise. I rather like it all, the old and new together. So, I have to
say
that tradition does not stop in any particular century but grows into
something greater. Happy dancing all.

Bob Mc Murtry
San Francisco Branch
Felton, California