Specific instruments for dance tunes

Helen P.

Message 35591 · 19 Jun 2003 09:26:14 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

Following Sylvia's thought about fingering, it helps if you choose a key
signature that will bring out the best in the specified instrument.

Also, consider describing the desired sound quality with more general terms,
such as "sprightly", "smoothly", etc. After all, even that one instrument
may be capable of a variety of sound textures.

-- Helen (MD USA)

From: "Wouter Joubert" <XxxxxxX@XXXXXXX.XXX.XX>
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 7:27 AM

A question for the musicians: would it be acceptable to specify which
instrument/s one thinks would be best to play an original dance tune?

To clarify the question - when I compose SCD tunes(not too often), I
usually have a specific sound/instrument in mind but not having
published any dances with music, I don't know if one could or should go
so far.